none
remove old OWA files after cumulative updates?? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently discovered a folder, C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\ClientAccess\Owa\prem, which contains millions of leftovers from cumulative updates, plus fonts.

What is the best, most appropriate way to clean out this folder and keep it clean??

Along these lines, is there other housecleaning one should do after running cumulative updates??

This question is for both Exchange 2016 and Exchange 2013.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 5:44 PM

All replies

• I recently discovered a folder, C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\ClientAccess\Owa\prem, which contains millions of leftovers from cumulative updates, plus fonts.

What is the best, most appropriate way to clean out this folder and keep it clean??

Along these lines, is there other housecleaning one should do after running cumulative updates??

This question is for both Exchange 2016 and Exchange 2013.

I always just leave them its maybe 500 files and very small amount of space. 
    Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:26 PM
  • In my case it's about 1 GB/folder thereabouts so I really would like to remove them non-destructively. :)

owa files from cumulative updates

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:49 PM
  • From what I know, you shouldnt remove those. At least that has been the case in the past. 
    Wednesday, May 8, 2019 11:04 PM
  • <humour>

Ugh. You give good advice. I will of course obey. Thank you. :) I think. :) :) :)

</humour>

• Edited by tlyczko2 Wednesday, May 8, 2019 11:25 PM
    Wednesday, May 8, 2019 11:23 PM
  • <humour>

Ugh. You give good advice. I will of course obey. Thank you. :) I think. :) :) :)

</humour>

Well, totally up to you of course! But 1GB in the big picture is not much and you it would stink if some time down the road you were find out you cant apply a CU or something when it looks for a dir or file that isnt there. Just sayin :) 

Thursday, May 9, 2019 2:54 AM
  • Hi tlyczko2,

According to my experience, yes, you can delete these folders, but it's not recommended. We cannot guarantee if deleting these folders will result in any potential problems, and once result in a problem, that would  affect the user experience. If you still insist on deleting these folders, please back them up before deleting, that will help us revert it back if any problem occurs and minimize the impact.

Regards,
    Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by ThinkCenter Monday, May 13, 2019 12:18 PM
    Thursday, May 9, 2019 5:53 AM
  • I meant 1 GB *per* folder, not 1 GB total. :)
    Monday, May 13, 2019 1:50 PM
  • As stated by Andy and Kelvin, you can delete these folders but it's not recommended to do so. If you want to do this, you may consider to create a scheduled task and clean up the folder with script. For your reference:

How to delete files older than X days automatically

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by ThinkCenter Monday, May 20, 2019 9:27 AM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 10:15 AM
  • Hi,

How is everything going? Do you try above methods?

If there is anything unclear or any update, please feel free to let us know. If the reply helps, kindly mark it as answer, which will be beneficial for answer searching in the forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

• Proposed as answer by ThinkCenter Tuesday, June 4, 2019 8:21 AM
    Monday, May 20, 2019 9:27 AM