none
Attaching Server to DPM that is in a different domain/workgroup Error 32685

Question

• I have an on premises DPM server that is being used successfully for a number of domain connected servers and SQL databases

I have a need to backup a server that is NOT on the same domain, is hosted externally, but connected by VPN to on premises so that we can access it via internal IP address.

I can ping the server from the on premises DPM server via it's ip address but not via it's name

Attach protected computer 192.168.x.x failed (ip has been hidden in this post)

Error 32685: This server does not match the DPM server setting on server 192.168.x.x

Error details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)

I've installed the DPM Agent with SetDpmServer.exe trying both the hostname of the server, NetBIOS name and the IP address as the 'server' name, as well as the DPM Server FQDN and specifying a username followed by a password.

The target server doesn't have a publically accessible FQDN other than it's hostname, NetBIOS name or IP address.

This completes and sets up Firewall rules

Could someone give me pointers on what to try please?  I think there is something that I'm not configuring correctly or getting a parameter wrong somewhere.

• Edited by PCreedy Thursday, January 3, 2019 10:07 AM updated
    Thursday, January 3, 2019 10:02 AM

All replies

• Don't think you can add a protected server via IP directly, you will need to use FQDN. If FQDN of the remote server is not resolvable via your DNS Server, you can add the FQDN record to local DNS host file on your DPM Server.

Modify the hosts file under C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc on your DPM Server. 

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Thursday, January 3, 2019 10:15 AM
  • Hi,

Did you add the IP address of your workgroup/untrusted domain to the hosts file under C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc of your DPM server?

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, January 3, 2019 10:17 AM