none
Internet Explorer missing from assinged access app RRS feed

• Question

• For Windows 10 I am trying to set up a Kiosk Mode account. When I choose the account, and go to choose which app the account can access Internet Explorer isn't there. Is there going to be a fix where I can select the browser as an app for assigned access?
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 1:48 PM

All replies

• Internet Explorer isn't there.
    Is it checked in Windows Features?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, January 5, 2017 8:43 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

IE is not an Windows app, and is installed along with the default MS Edge Web Browser which is a Windows app. You can use GPEdit.msc (pro and enterprise editions of windows) to configure the Kiosk accounts IE and Desktop settings. For a 'Kiosk' workstation though, you want the Kiosk version of IE to launch when the machine starts or the Kiosk account is logged in.

In the startup folder you should have a link with the command iexplore.exe -k [url to your kiosk resource]

How to use Kiosk mode in IE

Regards.

Rob^_^

ref: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/set-up-a-kiosk-for-windows-10-for-desktop-editions

A single-use or kiosk device is easy to set up in Windows 10 for desktop editions (Pro, Enterprise, and Education). For a kiosk device to run a Universal Windows app, use the assigned access feature. For a kiosk device (Windows 10 Enterprise or Education) to run a Classic Windows application, use Shell Launcher to set a custom user interface as the shell. To return the device to the regular shell, see Sign out of assigned access.

Note
    A Universal Windows app is built on the Universal Windows Platform (UWP), which was first introduced in Windows 8 as the Windows Runtime. A Classic Windows application uses the Classic Windows Platform (CWP) (e.g., COM, Win32, WPF, WinForms, etc.) and is typically launched using an .EXE or .DLL file.

Friday, January 6, 2017 12:09 AM
  • Ok thank you Rob, after using the configuring to the registry like you instructed I was able to get IE to run in Kiosk mode straight to a website. I also wanted to know is there a way I can at least get the URL bar  and forward and back arrows to come up? Because if a user is using the page and needed to go back to a previous page they would be out of luck. So I was wondering is there a way to include at least the URL bar and the forward and back arrows in IE Kiosk mode?
    Friday, January 13, 2017 12:07 AM
  • Hi, users can use alt+arrow keys to navigate the kiosk site or you can put navigation keys on your kiosk site.... an example would be the kiosk terminals say at the Smithsonian.... you would not use kiosk mode for public access to the internet (any website), you would just place a url file (internet shortcut) in the Users Startup folder (not the link file)... The default web browser would be used (viz IE or Edge, depending on which web browser you set as the default for that user account you are using for the Kiosk user. You would then use GPO to limit that accounts' access to the shell (windows file system) and the windows and webbrowsers' settings.

it sounds like you have something different in mind? If you could provide some sort or role description for your users, we can assist you with the gpo settings for the shell and web browser.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, January 13, 2017 2:26 AM
  • Ok thanks. The reason I wanted the URL bar was because the users I support will need to access two website links. Also the users I support aren't to tech savvy so keyboard short cuts aren't the best solution for them with the way this IE Kiosk is set up. Other than that I can lock everything else down by GPO. Do you think that would be possible to have the users just navigate to two websites for example and have the back and forward navigational tabs on the IE screen while in Kiosk mode?
    Friday, January 13, 2017 4:03 PM
  • Hi,

Create two Desktop shortcut files (one for each web site address) and place copies in the Users' startup folder and Desktop folders. Use GPO to lock-down IE (do not delete history on exit to preserve user cookies and site content)

eg. here is the properties windows of the desktop shortcut file (.lnk) for Amazon china...

the Target value is

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -private  https://www.amazon.cn/

"[path to executable (double quoted)]" [exe command line arguments]

so....

(note: first you have to create a desktop shortcut for iexplore.exe and save it to your desktop, then open its Properties dialog (right click>Properties) and add the command line switches Manually.)

First right click on the desktop and select New>Shortcut from the context menu...

when prompted navigate and select the IE exe.... it should be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

click "Next" and enter in the title for the desktop link... eg. Fedx Tracking

click "Finish"... a desktop link file (.lnk) will be created on the desktop (shell:desktop or winkey+D) which will have the IE default Icon...

Right click on the new Desktop link and select Properties to display the Properties dialog.

see the screenshots above....

on the Shortcut tab, change the Target from

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

to

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" https://fedex.com

select the desired Run value (maximized == full screen area (not IE full screen mode==theatre mode)

Click the Change Icon button and choose a suitable .ico file..... for amazon.cn I saved a copy of the site icon in a sub folder of c:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer (any 'Common' folder would do though... somewhere all user accounts will have access to.

Save your changes.

Open the USER's startup folder (shell:startup ) and copy the newly created desktop links (.lnk files) to the startup folder....

You should be left with 2 desktop links in the Users' desktop folder (shell:desktop) and two desktop links (.lnk files) in the users' startup folder.

You will have to use GPO (user Account) to lockdown IE, the desktop and tasksbar and shell and Windows Firewall to prevent users navigating to unauthorised websites like say FB.

If they are to access external sites like fedx, set IE to not delete the TIF on exit, so that any persistence data for credentials are maintained... (or use the -private command line switch to always start IE in InPrivate Mode - use the InPrivate switch -private for public access computers where you do not want to retain user site data between sessions.)

Before you apply the GPO restrictions, turn on IE's Form and password autocomplete settings and navigate to the Web sites that require login with your company's credentials so that those credentials are saved in the autocomplete store in IE... (the users won't have to remember the username and passwords for those sites... but you should keep those details written down somewhere in case you move on)

If the kiosk machine is to access intranet sites, start with the existing company user profile, so that all network and printer shares are established, and modify it to lock down the shell, apps and IE.

The Important thing to note is that on Windows 10, where Edge is set as the Default web browser, desktop and start shortcut files (.url) will open in Edge.... To keep Edge as the Default, but to open desktop or startup links in IE, you must use Desktop Link files (.lnk) instead of Internet Shortcuts (.url). For Windows apps you must use an appreference file (.msappref) in the desktop or startup folders.

Rob^_^

Saturday, January 14, 2017 5:14 AM