none
SharePoint Apps DNS and HNSCs question

Question

• Hi,

I have configured a SharePoint Apps domain name. One question I have is DNS. I will have a wildcard going to the SharePoint Virtual IP, but the VIP would be configured to listen to a hostname like sharepoint.domain.com, where some sites will be hosted. Other sites in a HNSC will be like abc.domain.com, etc.

How would I configure DNS for apps to work across all HNSCs?

Monday, May 01, 2017 1:39 PM

All replies

• You'll use a 2nd VIP and domain.

E.g. HNSC <site>.example.com

Apps are *.example-apps.com

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, May 01, 2017 4:43 PM
  • Just what I thought. Bit confused on how DNS will look. Would the DNS entries be like below?

Assuming two HNSCs, site1 and site2.

CName - site1.domain.com > site1vip.domain.com

CName - site2.domain.com > site2vip.domain.com

Monday, May 01, 2017 4:58 PM
  • No, you'd just have an A record pointing to the VIP. But your HNSC sites can use the same VIP. You just need separate VIPs to split the HNSC sites and App domain.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, May 01, 2017 5:00 PM
  • Ok makes sense.

So my understand is A Records in the app domain in DNS:

site1.sharepointapps.com > VIP in NLB
    site2.sharepointapps.com > VIP in NLB

For content in the main DNS namespace, I use seperate VIPs for each HNSC. This is for kerberos support (over a CName approach).

If this is incorrect, please state an example configuration of the DNS records.

Monday, May 01, 2017 5:06 PM
  • You don't need to use separate VIPs for SharePoint sites to support Kerberos. And SharePoint Apps do not support Kerberos.

Trevor Seward

Monday, May 01, 2017 5:08 PM
  • Ok thanks, would you be able to post an example configuration of how you'd recommend DNS/VIPs to be setup? The only requirement is more than one HNSC. That would help clarify.
    Monday, May 01, 2017 5:14 PM