none
Control Panel GPO

Question

• I am trying to restrict what Control Panel items my users are able to see and access. I have enabled the Show only the specified Control Panel items. I have added the Canonical names for the Keyboard, Mouse, Device and Printers, File Explorer Options, and Display. All the Control Panel items show up with the exception of the Display icon. I am entering Microsoft.Display as the canonical name. I am running Windows 2012 R2 server. The desktop is running Windows 10.  
    Thursday, September 01, 2016 3:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

First please make sure you have entered the correct canonical names:

Canonical Names of Control Panel Items

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee330741%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#Mouse

Regarding the issue, please help to confirm the following situations:

1. Does this issue occur on other Windows clients? Please check if only the Windows 10 clients are experiencing the issue or all the Windows clients are affected.

2. Have you tried to run gpupdate?

3. If possible, please help to collect some screenshots about this issue and paste them directly in our forum.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 02, 2016 5:44 AM
  • It seems Microsoft has changed the canonical names of some items in Windows 10.

Using the canonical name Microsoft.Display does not yield the Display icon to show up amongst control panel icons in Windows 10.

The URL by Alvin is not up to date and only contains information up to Windows 8.1.

This question is not answered.

Thursday, January 12, 2017 3:03 PM
  • I agree that this remains unanswered. I've scoured the internet and cannot find an updated list for Windows 10/Server 2016. We have a RDS configuration that requires the ability to let users select an additional language. 

Specifying both: 

Microsoft.RegionalAndLanguageOptions 
    Microsoft.Language 

Do not function to 'allow only these options' via GPO. 

Thursday, June 29, 2017 8:24 PM
  • Found these with a Powershell command in Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1607 (Get-ControlPanelItem):

Security and Maintenance - Microsoft.ActionCenter
    Administrative Tools - Microsoft.AdministrativeTools
    AutoPlay - Microsoft.AutoPlay
    Backup and Restore (Windows 7) - Microsoft.BackupAndRestore
    BitLocker Drive Encryption - Microsoft.BitLockerDriveEncryption
    Color Management - Microsoft.ColorManagement
    Credential Manager - Microsoft.CredentialManager
    Date and Time - Microsoft.DateAndTime
    Default Programs - Microsoft.DefaultPrograms
    Device Manager - Microsoft.DeviceManager
    Devices and Printers - Microsoft.DevicesAndPrinters
    Ease of Access Center - Microsoft.EaseOfAccessCenter
    File History - Microsoft.FileHistory
    File Explorer Options - Microsoft.FolderOptions
    Fonts - Microsoft.Fonts
    HomeGroup - Microsoft.HomeGroup
    Indexing Options - Microsoft.IndexingOptions
    Infrared - Microsoft.Infrared
    Internet Options - Microsoft.InternetOptions
    Keyboard - Microsoft.Keyboard
    Language - Microsoft.Language
    Display - Microsoft.LegacyDisplay
    Windows Mobility Center - Microsoft.MobilityCenter
    Mouse - Microsoft.Mouse
    Network and Sharing Center - Microsoft.NetworkAndSharingCenter
    Personalization - Microsoft.Personalization
    Phone and Modem - Microsoft.PhoneAndModem
    Windows To Go - Microsoft.PortableWorkspaceCreator
    Power Options - Microsoft.PowerOptions
    Programs and Features - Microsoft.ProgramsAndFeatures
    Recovery - Microsoft.Recovery
    Region - Microsoft.RegionAndLanguage
    RemoteApp and Desktop Connections - Microsoft.RemoteAppAndDesktopConnections
    Sound - Microsoft.Sound
    Speech Recognition - Microsoft.SpeechRecognition
    Storage Spaces - Microsoft.StorageSpaces
    Sync Center - Microsoft.SyncCenter
    System - Microsoft.System
    Taskbar and Navigation - Microsoft.Taskbar
    Troubleshooting - Microsoft.Troubleshooting
    User Accounts - Microsoft.UserAccounts
    Windows Defender - Microsoft.WindowsDefender
    Windows Firewall - Microsoft.WindowsFirewall
    Work Folders - Microsoft.WorkFolders

These are up-to-date canonical names as of Windows 10 build 1607 and as you can see, a few have been changed since Windows 8.1. Display is now Microsoft.LegacyDisplay - this is the one that I needed.

So the list provided by Alvwan is indeed useless as it is out of date and I also believe what is suggested by Martin Binder is irrelevant as the OP was asking specifically about Control Panel, not Settings.

Hope that helps a few people out!

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:26 AM
  • Gigagator,

Thank you for posting the updated list of canonical names. I searched for this for quite a while before I stumbled on this thread. These are very handy in AutoIT scripts for pushing out changes when GPO's can't be used, no MS domain server for example. I just wanted to add some sub pages for Security and Maintenance to your list:

(These sub pages were found by searching the registry for Microsoft.ActionCenter then openening the associated dll (ActionCenterCPL.dll) in Resource Hacker and viewing the XMLFILE section to locate all canonical names)
        Security and Maintenance > Turn Messages on or off - Microsoft.ActionCenter /page Settings
        Security and Maintenance > Archived Messages - Microsoft.ActionCenter /page pageResponseArchive
        Security and Maintenance > Reliability Monitor - Microsoft.ActionCenter /page pageReliabilityView
        Security and Maintenance > Problem Reports - Microsoft.ActionCenter /page pageProblems
        Security and Maintenance > Problem Details - Microsoft.ActionCenter /page pageReportDetails
        Security and Maintenance > Message Details - Microsoft.ActionCenter /page pageDisplaySolution
        Security and Maintenance > Related Problems - Microsoft.ActionCenter /page pageSolutionDetails
        Security and Maintenance > Check for Solutions - Microsoft.ActionCenter /page pageSignoff
        Security and Maintenance > Problem Reporting Settings - Microsoft.ActionCenter /page pageSettings
        Security and Maintenance > Advanced Problem Reporting Settings - Microsoft.ActionCenter /page pageAdvSettings
        Security and Maintenance > Automatic Maintenance - Microsoft.ActionCenter /page MaintenanceSettings

Monday, December 18, 2017 9:02 PM