All my Desktop Icons on my Windows 7 Ultimate are now .Exe Please help! :( RRS feed

• Question

• My Son was playing on my computer and some how he turned all my desktop icons into .Exe. I was wondering how to turn them back to their original Icons. Please and thank you. I have no idea how he did it. He's only like 7 years old and he did this. 

Any help would be great!

Please and Thank you!

ShockClock

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:42 PM

Answers

• The virus definitions is update in your Antivirus program? Some virus change the extensions of files to .EXE or turns invisible the files and folders and only shown shorcuts  of this objects. Make a Full Scan of your pc.

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, October 1, 2010 8:13 AM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:21 PM
  • For a free antivirus program:

www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

Don't forget about Alt+Esc!

Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:03 AM
  • Hi ShockClock,

You can try to scan your computer firstly.

Do those icons work? Also try safe mode to see if they work. It’s better if you provide a screenshot via SkyDrive.

Please feel free to give me any update.

Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:39 AM

All replies

• Well first of al congrats with your ownage son ;)

Is it your extentions that are  .exe or really your icon's?

If it are the icon's you can change them looking at the properties of that file under shortcut => different icon.

The extentions you can change in the same way as changing a file name (F2 while selecting the file)

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:58 PM
  • The virus definitions is update in your Antivirus program? Some virus change the extensions of files to .EXE or turns invisible the files and folders and only shown shorcuts  of this objects. Make a Full Scan of your pc.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:21 PM
  • For a free antivirus program:

www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:03 AM
  • Hi ShockClock,

You can try to scan your computer firstly.

Do those icons work? Also try safe mode to see if they work. It’s better if you provide a screenshot via SkyDrive.

Please feel free to give me any update.

Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:39 AM