rd web access sso with ts remoteapp RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm having problems configuring SSO between an RD web access server (windows 2008 R2) and a TS Farm (windows 2008).
    I have done the digital signature of the remote-apps but users are always prompt for login information when they open applications from the RD web access.
    SSO process works fine between RD Web Access and RD Farm (windows 2008 R2) but due to application compatibility I need to have a 32Bit system.

I would like to know if it is possibile to use the new SSO feature provides by RD Web access with the oldest TS host.

Thanks

Claudio

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

In my experience, the Web SSO is worked in Windows server 2008 R2-based or above. The new SSO feature provides by RD Web access doesn’t support oldest Terminal server.

In Windows Server 2008 TS Web Access, a major pain point for users was receiving multiple credential prompts, first when logging on to TS Web Access and then when launching a RemoteApp program from a terminal server.

In Windows Server 2008 R2, using the new RD Web Access Forms Based Authentication (FBA), users will now have to enter credentials only once in the login page of RD Web Access and will not be prompted again for entering credentials on launching subsequent apps from the RemoteApp Programs page of RD Web Access.

More information:

Introducing Web Single Sign-On for RemoteApp and Desktop Connections

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2009/08/11/introducing-web-single-sign-on-for-remoteapp-and-desktop-connections.aspx

Technology changes life……
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:02 AM
  • Hiya,

you could come around the 16bit problem by creating a virtual desktop machine and allow access to that using the RDWeb. That ofcourse depends on your setup. SSO would NOT be available for that yet, as per referenced article:

"Web SSO is supported for launching RemoteApp programs from RD Web Access or the Start menu in any of the above modes. It will not work, however, for connections to personal desktops or pooled virtual machines (VMs)."

Friday, January 27, 2012 9:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In my experience, the Web SSO is worked in Windows server 2008 R2-based or above. The new SSO feature provides by RD Web access doesn’t support oldest Terminal server.

In Windows Server 2008 TS Web Access, a major pain point for users was receiving multiple credential prompts, first when logging on to TS Web Access and then when launching a RemoteApp program from a terminal server.

In Windows Server 2008 R2, using the new RD Web Access Forms Based Authentication (FBA), users will now have to enter credentials only once in the login page of RD Web Access and will not be prompted again for entering credentials on launching subsequent apps from the RemoteApp Programs page of RD Web Access.

More information:

Introducing Web Single Sign-On for RemoteApp and Desktop Connections

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2009/08/11/introducing-web-single-sign-on-for-remoteapp-and-desktop-connections.aspx

Technology changes life……
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

thanks for your answer, we will focus to applications side.
    The real problem is that we have some applications compiled in 16Bit.
    Do you know if there is a 16Bit emulator for 64bit enviroment? I read about DosBox but it's for gamer and not for a production system.

Claudio

Friday, January 27, 2012 9:26 AM
  • Hiya,

you could come around the 16bit problem by creating a virtual desktop machine and allow access to that using the RDWeb. That ofcourse depends on your setup. SSO would NOT be available for that yet, as per referenced article:

"Web SSO is supported for launching RemoteApp programs from RD Web Access or the Start menu in any of the above modes. It will not work, however, for connections to personal desktops or pooled virtual machines (VMs)."

Friday, January 27, 2012 9:42 AM