Make documents compatible between MS Word 2002 and 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, 

I need a fix to make documents sent between Word 2002 and Word 2010 on different machines.  I'd like to keep all formatting the same, i.e. preserve fonts and bullet list styles, etc.  I can't seem to find anything specific that I need on a search. 

Would really be a big help to find this out.

Thanks - FP 

Saturday, January 25, 2014 7:47 PM

Answers

• Due to differences in printer drivers (which Word uses to define the page layout) and font versions, particularly, when moving between systems, it is impossible to ensure absolute consistency in the presentation of a document on different systems.

That said, you can attain a high level of consistency if both systems use and have access to the same document template (i.e. .dot file, give that you're using Word 2002).

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by George123345 Friday, February 7, 2014 1:45 AM
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 10:29 AM
  • One thing that you may need to do if you are creating documents in Word 2010 is to set the per-document compatibility settings for Word 2002, in File->Options->Advanced->Compatibility options (near the bottom of the Advanced options). But that probably won't affect either of the two things you mention at all.

Peter Jamieson

Monday, January 27, 2014 3:47 PM

All replies

• Sorry, that should read "make documents compatible between Word 2002 and 2010"!
    Saturday, January 25, 2014 7:48 PM
  • Due to differences in printer drivers (which Word uses to define the page layout) and font versions, particularly, when moving between systems, it is impossible to ensure absolute consistency in the presentation of a document on different systems.

That said, you can attain a high level of consistency if both systems use and have access to the same document template (i.e. .dot file, give that you're using Word 2002).

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Sunday, January 26, 2014 10:29 AM
  • One thing that you may need to do if you are creating documents in Word 2010 is to set the per-document compatibility settings for Word 2002, in File->Options->Advanced->Compatibility options (near the bottom of the Advanced options). But that probably won't affect either of the two things you mention at all.

Peter Jamieson

Monday, January 27, 2014 3:47 PM