none
Activate a Clone search topylogy and get error Rollback prending due to the last activation failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

My environment:  SharePoint 2013 Ent / SP1 / July 2019 CU

3 WFEs and 3 APPs servers and added 2 more SharePoint servers

Search Service Application already installed and existing search topology and index.  All are working.  

This work:  Add the newly added servers and additional search components to the current Search topology.  I followed this article

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/SharePoint/search/manage-search-components

• All steps went well.  Clone the active topology,  add new servers and search components to the clone topology
    • until I got to the section Activate the clone topology and get this error

Set-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology -Identity $clone

Application Server Administration job failed for service instance Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance (f2ccc48b-8015-4a68-a45c-ff780b4659e1).

Reason: Unable to remove primary admin component [ AdminComponent4 ]. No other admin took over as primary within the allocated time.

• I checked and AdminComponet4 and seem to be active OK

Name  : AdminComponent4

State : Active

Host  : server*****

• I tried to run Set-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology -Identity $clone again, but now I got a new error

Set-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology -Identity $cloneTopology

Set-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology : Rollback prending due to the last activation failure. Cannot start Activation of another topology now.

• I stopped here and checked and see that there are two Search topology now.  One is Active and one is In-Active

the Active topology showed the existing number of servers and components.

the In-Active showed the additional number of servers and components so I think that the clone topology I was working on.

Search service are working and I was able to run crawl jobs successfully.  Also in CA, show all existing search server components are Green.

My question now beside searching for possible solutions from online sites.  As I could not find any solutions to the first error at all and still looking.  I found some for the second error

• I am still in the PS management console session where this happen,  can I remove the In-Active (this clone) topology and restart over again?
    • What recommend actions or steps that I should do to resolve the error and try to activate the clone Topology again

Anyone have experience this type of error when working with SharePoint Search Topology,  please advice.

Thanks in advance for all advices and comments

Swanl

Thursday, May 14, 2020 7:43 PM

All replies

• If the crawl is running fine and all the existing components in the Search Topology are in active then i would say go and remove the In-active components and reconfigure / add  the components in the New Server's again.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Friday, May 15, 2020 12:24 AM
  • Hi, swanl98,

As the status of your search server components are healthy and crawl job is working. I shall assume currently the active search topology is working fine. Remove the inactive topology shall be fine. 

As test you can try to make a new topology to try again and see if you can reproduce the first error. 

For your first error, I will suggest you to open a ticket for it and wait for the support team to have a more in-depth investigation.

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, May 15, 2020 7:26 AM
  • Hi, swanl98,

Is there any update about your issue?

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 1:38 AM
  • Hi Sharath Aluri

Sorry for the late reply.  Yes, actually I have tried to do that option but turned out even I was able to delete the in-active topology successfully.  I tried again clone the active topology and added component to the new server, then when I tried to activate the clone topology, it failed again with the same error.

I checked the SSA with this cmdlets and found this

• $searchApp = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication -identity "SSA name" 

• Get-SPEnterpriseSearchStatus -SearchApplication $searchapp -Text 

Name  : AdminComponent4 

Host  : spapp1 

Name  : AdminComponent5 

State : Unknown 

State : Node not found 

Host  :  

Name  : CrawlComponent5 

Host  : Spapp3

Do you know what I need to remove the AdminComponent5 from the SSA.  I think if i can find a way to get the AdminComponent5  component ID then i may be able to delete it but without that I don't know.

Thanks

Swanl

Thursday, May 21, 2020 3:25 AM
  • Hi Jerry

Thanks for checking.  Please see my answer to Sharath above.

Swanl

Thursday, May 21, 2020 3:27 AM
  • Hi Jerry

Thanks for your suggestion

As test you can try to make a new topology to try again and see if you can reproduce the first error. 

I tried to make new new clone topology but got the same error again.

When I do Get-SPEnterpriseSearchStatus -SearchApplication $ssa,  I still see this component in Unknown state

Name  : AdminComponent5 

State : Unknown 

State : Node not found 

Host  :  

is there a way to remove this Unknown state component?   I really think it is the cause that make activate the clone topoloty fail..

Thanks

Swanl

Friday, May 22, 2020 3:52 PM
  • By using below commands clone the existing search topology and then remove the bad component and then add it again.

Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell -ea 0 
    #set Search Service Application
    $ssa = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication
    $ssa.pause()

# Check the status of the service application in a new Powershell window.
    $ssa.IsPaused() -ne 0

#grab component name of faulty topology component and it's respective server name
    Get-SPEnterpriseSearchStatus -SearchApplication $ssa -Text

#put server name where [SERVER] is.. remove the []
    $hosta = get-spenterprisesearchserviceinstance -identity "USALSECS076"

#get the existing topology
    $active = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology -SearchApplication $ssa -Active

#copy the existing topology
    $clone = New-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology -SearchApplication $ssa -Clone -SearchTopology $active

Get-SPEnterpriseSearchComponent -SearchTopology $clone

#remove the bad component, placing the name where [BAD COMPONENT NAME] is... remove the []
    $ComponentID = (Get-SPEnterpriseSearchComponent -SearchTopology $clone -Identity "IndexComponent4").componentID
    Remove-SPEnterpriseSearchComponent -Identity $ComponentID.GUID -SearchTopology $clone -confirm:$false

#create the new component, the example below is for the index specifically - create a new folder for the index so it's empty!
    New-SPEnterpriseSearchIndexComponent -SearchTopology $clone -SearchServiceInstance $hostA -IndexPartition 0

#Set this copy as the active topology
    Set-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology -identity $clone

$active 
    #Note the ID of the Topology and then Remove it.
    #Remove-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology -Identity 9c1a5c17-b470-436f-bb8c-dc73ec3eaeda -SearchApplication $ssa

$ssa.resume()
    #or
    $ssa.ResumeAfterIndexRepartitioning()

Below article for your reference:

https://jerryyasir.wordpress.com/2014/07/09/add-or-remove-search-component-in-sharpoint-2013/

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Friday, May 22, 2020 6:30 PM
  • Hi Sharath

Thanks so much for providing this script.

I will do this soon and let you know the result.

Swanl

Saturday, May 23, 2020 4:27 PM
  • Hi, swanl98,

How is everything going after running the script?

Best Regards

Jerry

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 6:33 AM
  • Hi Jerry

I ran the script from Sharath and was successfully remove the component but still get the same error when Activate the clone Topology

Set-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology : Rollback prending due to the last activation failure. Cannot start Activation of another topology now.

We ended up open case with Microsoft and resolve this with

• Run a query on the config database to identify the pending topology activations.
      Select * from objects where properties like '%SearchTopologyActivationInfo%'
    • Identity from the query any pending activation
    • Released these stuck topologies using the below cmds.
    $farm = Get-SPFarm
    $obj = $farm.GetObject("EDD7B460-E83A-4F5F-954E-04191AD79457")
    $obj.ActivationFailurePoint
    $obj.Clear()

After that I was able to activate the clone topology successfully

Hope that will help 

Thanks

Swanl

Thursday, May 28, 2020 5:14 PM
  • Thanks Sharath 

it worked but not in our case for the activate topology.  This script  will be very helpful for me

Thanks again

Swanl

Thursday, May 28, 2020 5:16 PM
  • Hi, Swanl,

Glad to hear you fix it. Please mark it as answer so other community members will find the solution easily. It will bring great help to users who suffer from the same issue.

Best Regards

Jerry

Friday, May 29, 2020 2:21 AM