none
Is there a method to open all projects in Project Pro that have been modified / processed approvals "today" without using a master project? RRS feed

All replies

• Hi,

Not out of the box. It would require some development based on a business need which has to be defined more precisely. I'm concerned about the need behind this request. This could be quite time consuming to open in Project Pro a large set of projects, then track for each ones impacts and updates. A report based on the approvals or project updates might do the job more efficiently.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 8:54 AM
  • Hi,

Not out of the box. It would require some development based on a business need which has to be defined more precisely. I'm concerned about the need behind this request. This could be quite time consuming to open in Project Pro a large set of projects, then track for each ones impacts and updates. A report based on the approvals or project updates might do the job more efficiently.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Agreed - 

It'd be a lot easier to generate an SSRS report (or excel report) that pulled data from the dbo.MSP_EpmProject/MSP_EpmProjectCommit table on a daily basis

Creating a table and just scrape the projects that were modified based on today's date, save those entries in the table - which you could save or delete daily with an SQL task/job

Use that table to create reports and display how you wish

Friday, October 16, 2015 11:28 AM
  • A simple PWA view shows last modified.

The original behavior of PWA was to accept updates and open the project to apply them.

If a company has a dedicated scheduler who handles 50 projects do you not think he should put his eyes on the ones that changed when they change?  The resources are robots, not meat puppets, so no management is required.

Friday, October 16, 2015 1:37 PM
  • Use a Project Center.

Create a new view, past in it fields "Modified" and "Published" (dates both) and you will see the project change dates 

Friday, October 16, 2015 1:42 PM

• If a company has a dedicated scheduler who handles 50 projects do you not think he should put his eyes on the ones that changed when they change?  The resources are robots, not meat puppets, so no management is required.

To answer this - it goes back to requirements... maybe you can tell us a little more - some things to consider

1) How should the scheduler be notified?
    1a) Email?
    1b) Report?

2) When should the scheduler be notified?
    2a) Would being notified every 3 hours be the best way, and then modify only those project?  Then wait 3 more hours and then update those? 
    2b) Or would you prefer a daily notification?

3) How often do the schedules get updated?
    3a) can this be done daily/or weekly/monthly/etc

You could create code to check every project (vba for example) or generate a report /email (the email could be generated by SQL server and sent out with the information hourly for example)

several ways to do this in my opinion; however you want to accomplish this is up to you

HTH

Sunday, October 18, 2015 4:10 PM
  • If you select mutliple projects in PWA - using an appropriate view with a filter to find the newly modified plans easily - and open them all at once in Project Pro, they will all appear as separate "sub projects" with a new empty project acting as "master"; exactly like having a master/sub structure but without needing to save the master plan in PWA.

If you skip saving the new "master" plan, you'll have to do the selection over again in PWA, but that was the idea - wasn't it?

I would not try to do this on a slow network connection with large projects, nor would I do this with more than 90 project plans on a 32 bit version of Project Pro. Beef up the RAM on the client machine.

/Lars Hammarberg

//Lars Hammarberg www.acando.se

• Proposed as answer by umnov Wednesday, October 28, 2015 9:37 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Toomanyhats Wednesday, November 11, 2015 8:26 PM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 3:31 PM
  • 1) How should the scheduler be notified?

By going to PWA and looking for approvals

1a) Email?

Never

1b) Report?

Nope

2) When should the scheduler be notified?

Never

2a) Would being notified every 3 hours be the best way, and then modify only those project?  Then wait 3 more hours and then update those?

No notification required

2b) Or would you prefer a daily notification?

No, the scheduler is in the building, he is scheduling

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 6:52 PM
  • Yes Lars I see that behavior and the views have already been created. I would like them to open up separately. Not as subprojects. The client machine can be as big and strong as required and Network connection is 10Gb.

Thanks

• Edited by Toomanyhats Tuesday, November 10, 2015 6:57 PM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 6:54 PM