none
Migrate DPM 2012 R2 data to 2016 - Same disks RRS feed

• Question

• In regards to moving legacy storage to new modern backup storage located at the bottom of this page "upgrade-to-dpm-2016" on the Microsoft TechNet forums.

I don't have extra storage on hand so I was thinking taking the remaining space from our legacy storage, creating the 1TB drives and creating the storage pool from that. Then creating the protection groups and having them backup data to the new storage pool. At this point, what happens to the datasource that I just moved from the legacy disk to the new storage pool? Will it simply migrate off and delete the data from the legacy disks?

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 7:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When you migrate a data source from legacy storage to new modern storage, the legacy volumes will automatically get deleted after the recovery points expire.  This is the same behavior that would occur if you migrated disks in DPM 2012 R2, so no change in expected behavior, it's just the method of migrating is different.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by renegade34g Tuesday, November 8, 2016 8:37 PM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 8:22 PM