none
unable to contact agent on VPN with ISA 2006/DPM2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I've been working with this for a few days now.

1. The w2k8R2 client is on a remote network connected by a vpn tunnel.
    2. The DPM agent is installed as -isNonDomainServer. I have tried both the FQDN and Netbios names of the dpm server.
    3. The remote network can be pinged by both the FQDN and NetBIOS names from the DPM server. (Unrelated, the SMB shares can be accessed via the netbios name as well)
    4. The DPM server can be pinged by netbios name and FQDN from the remote server
    5. ISA has a policy to allow traffic through it as per the instructions followed from here: http://www.buchatech.com/2011/02/allow-dpm-traffic-through-isa-2006-tmg-2010/ 

however I get an error when attempting to attach the client that it is unreachable. I have verified that the netbios name, username, password are correct, and alternately that the FQDN, username/password are correct but still no joy. 

Any pro's out there care to weigh in?

• Edited by cmartin-vs Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:06 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:05 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your help Buchatech, here's the resolution of the issue:

I isolated the problem, the DPM server was not using the routing specified in the ISA server. Once I added a static route to the DPM server it connected using the FQDN immediately. 

Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:31 PM

All replies

• I've been working with this for a few days now.

1. The w2k8R2 client is on a remote network connected by a vpn tunnel.
    2. The DPM agent is installed as -isNonDomainServer. I have tried both the FQDN and Netbios names of the dpm server.
    3. The remote network can be pinged by both the FQDN and NetBIOS names from the DPM server. (Unrelated, the SMB shares can be accessed via the netbios name as well)
    4. The DPM server can be pinged by netbios name and FQDN from the remote server
    5. ISA has a policy to allow traffic through it as per the instructions followed from here: http://www.buchatech.com/2011/02/allow-dpm-traffic-through-isa-2006-tmg-2010/ 

however I get an error when attempting to attach the client that it is unreachable. I have verified that the netbios name, username, password are correct, and alternately that the FQDN, username/password are correct but still no joy. 

Any pro's out there care to weigh in?

Hi Cmartin-vs,

This is a nasty one. I spent allot of time on a similar issue. Email me at sbuchanan[at]buchatech.com and I will see if I can help you out.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:56 AM
  • Thanks for your help Buchatech, here's the resolution of the issue:

I isolated the problem, the DPM server was not using the routing specified in the ISA server. Once I added a static route to the DPM server it connected using the FQDN immediately. 

Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:31 PM