none
Intel Dynamic platform and thermal framework error computer shutting down

Question

• Hello,

I have a problem with my ASUS x550 ln laptop running on windows 10. whenever I use it on the battery and my battery gets low, (around 20~15%) instead of displaying the "low battery" message, my computer just shuts down, very abruptly. I went into the windows log files and I saw an error message from Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework with the ID 256.

This is the error I get:

Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework : ESIF(8.1.10603.192) TYPE: ERROR

Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework

ESIF(8.1.10603.192) TYPE: ERROR DPTF Build Version: 8.1.10603.192 DPTF Build Date: Aug 7 2015 10:44:44 Source File: ..\..\..\Sources\Manager\WIPolicyCreateAll.cpp @ line 59 Executing Function: WIPolicyCreateAll::execute Message: Unhandled exception caught during execution of work item Policy File Name: DptfPolicyPassive.dll Framework Event: PolicyCreate [27] Exception Function: PolicyManager::createPolicy Exception Text: DPTF Build Version: 8.1.10603.192 DPTF Build Date: Aug 7 2015 10:44:44 Source File: ..\..\..\Sources\Manager\EsifServices.cpp @ line 457 Executing Function: EsifServices::primitiveExecuteGet Message: Error returned from ESIF services interface function call Participant: NoParticipant Domain: NoDomain ESIF Primitive: GET_THERMAL_RELATIONSHIP_TABLE [91] ESIF Instance: 255 ESIF Return Code: ESIF_E_UNSUPPORTED_ACTION_TYPE [1202]

I already tried downgrading the drivers to previous versions but it didn't change anything.

Could it be coming from my battery malfunctioning?

Thank you for your help.

Saturday, October 8, 2016 9:10 AM

Answers

• A battery problem would also be my first suspicion, as I know the spoantaneous shutdown when battery level runs low from smartphones, when the battery is getting old.

regarding the error from event log: there is a longer thread on the Intel forum with fingerpointing (OEM - Intel - Microsoft) on who is responsible for this error: 
    DPTF Event ID 256, Windows 10
    While there are repots of the computer hanging when no charger is plugged in, this seems to be a different problem than yours.
    I am not shure the event log error is even a problem: from my understanding the driver is trying to read the thermal relationship table from bios, and this is not suppored on the machine. Perhaps this results in a wrong temperatures being calculated, and as a result a critical temperature shutdown?
    Either a bios update, or using only the drivers provided by the laptop manufaturer might fix this.

Saturday, October 8, 2016 12:30 PM
  • Hello!

Thank you for your reply!

A little update, so I downgraded the Intel driver and I don't get the error message anymore. Unfortunately the problem is still there.

I even uninstalled "Asus Power 4 Gear Hybrid" (power management software that comes from ASUS and reset all the battery and power settings to default, but nothing solved the problem.

I am now pretty sure it is a battery (hardware) problem. My laptop is 2 years old maybe it's time for a battery change.

I will purchase a new battery in the coming weeks and keep you updated of the progress.

Thank you for your help.

PS: My BIOS is up to date to the latest version offered by ASUS
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 12:53 PM

All replies

• A battery problem would also be my first suspicion, as I know the spoantaneous shutdown when battery level runs low from smartphones, when the battery is getting old.

regarding the error from event log: there is a longer thread on the Intel forum with fingerpointing (OEM - Intel - Microsoft) on who is responsible for this error: 
    DPTF Event ID 256, Windows 10
    While there are repots of the computer hanging when no charger is plugged in, this seems to be a different problem than yours.
    I am not shure the event log error is even a problem: from my understanding the driver is trying to read the thermal relationship table from bios, and this is not suppored on the machine. Perhaps this results in a wrong temperatures being calculated, and as a result a critical temperature shutdown?
    Either a bios update, or using only the drivers provided by the laptop manufaturer might fix this.

Saturday, October 8, 2016 12:30 PM
  • Hello!

Thank you for your reply!

A little update, so I downgraded the Intel driver and I don't get the error message anymore. Unfortunately the problem is still there.

I even uninstalled "Asus Power 4 Gear Hybrid" (power management software that comes from ASUS and reset all the battery and power settings to default, but nothing solved the problem.

I am now pretty sure it is a battery (hardware) problem. My laptop is 2 years old maybe it's time for a battery change.

I will purchase a new battery in the coming weeks and keep you updated of the progress.

Thank you for your help.

PS: My BIOS is up to date to the latest version offered by ASUS
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 12:53 PM
  • Did you have any luck or an update?

I am having this issue on my Asus UX303LA.  I am using a dock with dual monitors and in the middle of working; my monitors will freeze and disconnect then my network will stop working.  I have to completely shutdown my computer and unplug the dock for a few minutes each time this happens...

Thanks in advance.

• Proposed as answer by Sybille Julien Thursday, March 9, 2017 9:20 PM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 2:16 PM
  • Same question as above, any luck? I am having the exact same issue but my computer is only a few months old. The computer randomly freezes and only a hard reboot will fix. 'Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework : ESIF(8.1.10603.192) TYPE: ERROR' is the error message and I am running an additional cooling pad under the laptop but no help. All is up to date and reinstalling has not been helpful.
    Sunday, April 9, 2017 7:04 PM
  • I had a very similar issue with a brand new (2 day old Dell Inspiron 11, 3000 Series) laptop.  Event ID 256 seems pretty cryptic, but when I went to the Dell site to verify if my drivers and everything was up to date, it suggested a new BIOS version (from 1.x to 2.2, I believe).  I ran the executable from Dell, and it did the update and did a subsequent restart.  Everything came back fine, and the problem went away. 

Although it's a basic little laptop with only a 1.6 ghz pentium chip and 4 gb of ram (enough to use Word and Final Draft, which is all I use it for), I did notice it was faster with the native Windows A/V running instead of McAfee (that's no surprise).  What I'm not sure about, however, is if McAfee might have also been contributing to the error.  Not sure b/c I removed it AND updated the BIOS at the same time.  Killing an ant with an anvil, I guess.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 3:24 AM
  • Hey! Sorry I kinda forgot about this post! Turns out it was the battery, I purchased a new one last year and replaced it, everything has been working fine ever since!

Cheers!

Saturday, November 11, 2017 9:47 PM
  • Hey! Sorry I kinda forgot about this post! Turns out it was the battery, I purchased a new one last year and replaced it, everything has been working fine ever since!

Cheers!

Saturday, November 11, 2017 9:48 PM