none
Problems when moving a Project Web Site from one PWA to another RRS feed

• Question

• I found out that there are neat commands in powershell for such a thing: export-spweb and import-spweb.

commands i used:

• export-spweb -identity <site url> -path <path and filename> -force -includeversions all
    • import-spweb -identity <site url> -path <export file name>

I successfully managed to transfer the project web site from one PWA to another (which resides on a different server) but now my assignments (to e.g tasks) are gone. I personally guess that has something to do with the fact that tasks, problems, risks, etc. are project server specific!? Therefore my question is, whether there is a way to take assignements with me when I move a project web site from one PWA to another?

regards Tom

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Tom,

What version of Project Server are you using?

While Project Server is build on top of SharePoint, it is not simply a SharePoint web. Project Server is a full blown application with its own databases, where all data like assignments etc. are stored. Hence, you cannot apply the procedure to move a SharePoint web to a different server to move your Project Server to a different server.

You need to follow the proper procedure (unprovision PWA, move databases if needed, reprovision PWA on new server). This procedure is outlined on TechNet: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff961887.aspx

If you don't want to move your databases, you only need to unprovision the PWA on the old server and reprovision it on the new server.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    • Marked as answer by evolutional09 Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:36 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by evolutional09 Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by evolutional09 Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:43 AM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Tom,

What version of Project Server are you using?

While Project Server is build on top of SharePoint, it is not simply a SharePoint web. Project Server is a full blown application with its own databases, where all data like assignments etc. are stored. Hence, you cannot apply the procedure to move a SharePoint web to a different server to move your Project Server to a different server.

You need to follow the proper procedure (unprovision PWA, move databases if needed, reprovision PWA on new server). This procedure is outlined on TechNet: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff961887.aspx

If you don't want to move your databases, you only need to unprovision the PWA on the old server and reprovision it on the new server.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

• Marked as answer by evolutional09 Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:36 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by evolutional09 Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by evolutional09 Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:43 AM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:45 AM
  • My intention was to move only 2 projects (i do already know the link you gave me - don't get me wrong with this! *), so i did the following steps:

• save both projects from the current PWA1 to a share
    • imported both projects to PWA2 by using project professional and "import project to enterprise.."
    • published both projects, which creates 2 new project web sites.
    • and used the 2 commands mentioned above

So, I now know that this approach is not really supported, which is fine with me cauz.. it's only about 2 projects and I can add those assigments manually.

I really appreciate your time and you made it more clear to me that this is just another unsupported way of doing things and I guess I won't find a streamlined way to do this - big thx!

regards, Tom

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:42 AM
  • Hi Tom,

I assume that by assignments, you mean the link between tasks (in the project) and objects on the SharePoint Project Site (and not resource assignments)?

Because you moved those projects by exporting and importing them into the new environment, the project and all its tasks etc. received a new GUID. So I'm not sure if it is possible what you are trying to achieve.

You can try to go to PWA -> Server Settings -> Project Sites, select the project and click 'Edit Site Address' to enter the correct URL and hit synchronize to sync the project with the site. But I'm not sure if it will restore the object links.

Let uw know if it helps,
    Hans

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:59 AM