none
RE: Replica Creation Fails - Not enough space on destination RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I have recently installed dpm 2012 r2 and have up to now been able to get all my server 2008 r2 dc's backed up without any issues. However, the one dc fails to even do its initial replica when i add it to its own protection group. In fact it comes up green almost instantaneously. This seemed odd to me so I checked the wsb utility and it reports the backup as failed stating that there is not enough free space on the destination drive. There is ample space on the storage pool so this must be related to something else.

Any ideas?

Friday, September 5, 2014 8:30 AM

Answers

• HI,

Perhaps WSB is erroneously including the page file for size calculation of the C: volume to include in the BMR backup which would exceed the replica volume size.  As a test, can you reduce page file or move it to T: and try again.    

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 10:04 AM

All replies

• I assume it is only BMR that is failing ?

If you do a system state, the recovery point is created without any problems ?

If that is the case then you have most probably not enough free disk space on your Recovery Partition. VSS requires a minimum of 50MB free disk space to create a snapshot.

Open a Command Prompt with elevated rights on your dc that is causing problems.

Exceute: mountvol

You will get a list of your volumes. Copy the information of the one volume that states NO MOUNT POINTS.

You can see a screenshot in my blog here : http://www.dpmpro.de/dpm-beschwert-sich-ueber-fehlenden-speicherplatz-beim-baremetal-backup/

Then use vssadmin to tell VSS to use the C: Drive as storage for the snapshot of the recovery partition:

vssadmin add shadowstorage /for=VOLUMENAME /on=C: /MaxSize=500MB

This should be it. Return to DPM and create a recovery point. You should be able to see the progress in WSB.

Friday, September 5, 2014 1:37 PM
  • Hi,

Most likely the DPM replica volume is too small to accommodate the size of the BMR backup.  To see how large the replica volume need to be, perform the following:

1) Set up a network share on a remote machine \\server\bmrshare

2) From an administrative command prompt on the PS, type:

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\server\bmrshare

This should show you the list of volumes included in the BMR backup and ask "Do you want to start the backup operation?. - Type Y to continue..

3) After the BMR backup completes, check the disk space used by the BMR by looking at the \\server\bmrshare and then make sure the replica Volume on the DPM server has enough disk space allocated to hold the BMR backup.

NOTE: BMR backup does NOT require any disk space on the PS, Windows Backup writes directly to the DPM Servers replica volume. However, if you only select SystemState (not bmr option) - then DPM will require ~15GB free space on the PS.

Once you add enough space to the replica volume, run a Consistency Check - that should succeed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 5, 2014 9:07 PM
  • Hi Mike

I tried your approach and still had no luck with the backup. I got the following event id's on the dc: event id 546 and 19. On the dpm server i'm getting event id 33223. It seems Chaib might be on the right track since it actually performs a system state backup without any issues. only when i include BMR does it fail.

Saturday, September 6, 2014 1:52 PM
  • Hi

See if this helps.

System image backup fails after you upgrade to Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2930294

Michael Jacquet

Monday, September 8, 2014 4:30 AM
  • Hi Chaib

I tried your method and it still fails. It does the system state on its own, but not together with bmr. Is there anything else I can try? I have tried Mike's suggestions already as well.

Monday, September 8, 2014 5:49 AM
  • Hi Michael

Let me try this and see. The vssadmin change did not work either. I have another question regarding the backup of Hyper-V vm's. I notice that on the three hosts we have all the backups go through without fail, but in wsb of the hosts it is only stating that the system state was backed up. Does this mean it skipped the virtual machines? I do however remember looking at the active jobs on dpm and it clearly stated that the vm's are being backed up.

Karl

Monday, September 8, 2014 5:52 AM
  • Hi Karl,

Hyper-V guest backups do not use WSB, only SystemState and BMR use WSB, so the guest backups are working fine if DPM shows good recovery points.

For the BMR issue, did this complete successful, or did WSB report errors ?

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\server\bmrshare

Monday, September 8, 2014 2:21 PM
  • Hi Karl,

have you checked the sizes of your replica & recovery point volumes for that host that you cannot back up ?
    Maybe there is really an issue with disk space on the destination. But i doubt that, considering the fact that you say that the backup fails instantly.

Have you checked whether you have enough disk space on C: too ?
    Have you tried the manual backup as described by Mike ?

Monday, September 8, 2014 2:46 PM
  • Ok. This is what I found so far. The c: drive is low on space, much lower than the size of the bmr or system state backup. This is due to a very large page file which I am not sure I can manually alter? Strangely, manual backup of bmr and ss to shared volume works. The ss only backup from dpm also works, but strangely puts the actual backup files on my t: drive for some reason? Not sure why that's the case. It does however have a lot of free space.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 9:06 AM
  • Hi,

OK - So both SS and BMR backup works when redirected to a network share.  What is the total size of the BMR backup on that share ?    That is how large the replica volume needs to be on the DPM server.  Please check that and increase it if is not large enough.

DPM agent determines the drive with the most free space at the time of installation and is used for the SystemSate backup, so I'm guessing T: volume was chosen at that time.  

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 9:24 AM
  • Ok. Let me check and come back to you on that one.
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 9:31 AM
  • WSB rweports the amount of data transferred as 13GB for a SS backup only. For a BMR and SS backup the size equals 22GB.

The replica volume is set to 40GB so there is plenty of space there. I have also realized that the space on the c: drive is taken up by the pagefile, which is 64GB in size due to the fact that this Dell server has 64GB of ram. But is a BMR backup does not make use of one of the local drives that should not be a factor.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 9:57 AM
  • HI,

Perhaps WSB is erroneously including the page file for size calculation of the C: volume to include in the BMR backup which would exceed the replica volume size.  As a test, can you reduce page file or move it to T: and try again.    

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 10:04 AM
  • Ok. Eventually I got it working. Basically took the page file size (made it 16GB) and added the BMR size. Then used this total as the replica volume size. Currently backing up as I'm typing this. This is very odd behaviour, but worth putting in a red flag list or something.

Thanks for your help Mike.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 10:46 AM