none
Resource Utilisation/ Percentages RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Hopefully this is a straightforward query as I'm relatively new to MS Project. I want to allocate people to set percentages for a task's total duration and for these to show as such in the task useage chart. For example, if I have a resource who will be available for 40% of their time for a task of duration 20 days (4 weeks) then I'd like to be shown as such on the task useage chart. At the moment, they are only appearing as being utilised in the first 2 weeks which gives a skew view of their availability thereafter. Any guidance gratefully received. Thanks

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When you create task and allocate resource to the task then MS project it self assign % of task to resource but you can manually assign task to resources as per their availability.

Once You assign task to resource they will fill the actual work hour and once you will update plan with actual work, % work complete will increase for task.   

I mean to say if you have 2 resource assigned to the task and you want 60% work load to resource A and 40% task load to resource B that you can set from MS- Project.

if you will open task information pane then you need to click on resource tab and in reosurce tab you can set the unit for resource.

You can also display the unit for resource for the task as it will come in grantt chart view like the unit for resource

A[40%]

In Task form, task sheet it will come but not available in the Task Usage view

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/project-help/assigning-resources-to-your-project-tasks-HA001019943.aspx#BM#5 

Link is applicable for 2007/2010/2013 also.

kirtesh

• Edited by Kirteshtiw Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:56 AM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:48 AM
  • Hi,

By default, Project will calculate work based upon duration * units and spread that work out evenly over the task duration.  If you define your resource on the resource sheet with a maximum units of 40%, Project will, by default, use that max units when you assign the resource.

What you describe is not standard behavior for Project.  I would set the max units for the resource, unassign them from the task in question, and re assign.

I hope this helps.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 11:21 AM