Sharepoint db grows bigger RRS feed

• Question

• We have a MOSS 2007 sharepoint server. The size of its database  is 117 gb, and it grows 6 gb each week. The site archives company documents and photos. So far we don't find any performance issues.

I just a little concerned about the database size. Shall I leave it as it is to grow , or what else can I do?

Thanks.

SQLFriend
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

The SharePoint guidlines typically recommend around 100 Gb for a content db. Also, multiple content databases of 100 GB can be distributed accross multiple SQL servers easier than one large database.

If the content database is larger than 100 GB:

• Use a single site collection
    • Use a differential backup solution like SQL Server
    • Test the SQL server and I/O subsystem

Plan for software boundaries: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262787(office.12).aspx#section3

Helpful link: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/joelo/archive/2006/08/01/how-large-for-a-single-sharepoint-content-database.aspx

SQL Maximum Capacity: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143432.aspx

Tyler
    • Proposed as answer by KSDN Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:51 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:50 PM
  • Is there a documentation that tells how to add a second content database for a site collection?

Thanks

SQLFriend
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Hi SPFriend,

There is a very good Technet article you can follow to split your content database.

When you create new site collection you can specify it's own content database through the STSADM command Createsiteinnewdb switch. 

Hope this helps! 

BlueSky2010
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:37 PM
  • I can see the big database we have is for one application but multiple collections.

So multiple site collections shared that single database. Now I don't want to make new collections, can I just add another content database, and let all the exisiting site collections's new data  to go to that new content database, I mean let the exisiting collections start to write data to the new content database?

Is there a way to do it in Sharepoint admininstrator site?

Thanks

SQLFriend
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:34 PM
  • Hello SPFriend,

To create a new content database:

• In Central Administration > Application Management > Content Databases
    • Select your web application
    • Click on Add a content database and specify the required information (Database Name/Database Server).
    • Click Ok

To make new and existing site collections use the new database:

• Click the old conent database
    • Set the Database status to Offline.

This will disallow new items being added to this database but will still allow the database to be read. Any changes made to the existing data in the old database will be saved in the new content database.

Tyler

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Thank you, it's really helpful.

Is there a documentation or article about this somewhere for sharepoint documentation?

Thanks

SQLFriend
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:10 PM
  • Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:19 PM