why my windows 7 has slowed down? RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

why my windows 7 has slowed down. i have installed windows since it came out and now it has been slowed down and i don't want to reinstall it, like i have always done with windows xp, 98,and 95. i have installed Diskeeper to defragment my hard disk and i have 30 gb free space in c drive, which is my windows drive. i didn't use any registry cleaners because in my experience they just make things worse. btw, i only have programs that i installed after installing the windows, i might have installed then uninstalled several programs but thats it.

so what should i do to make my windows fast again, except reinstalling the windows?

thank you :)

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi fdmomotaz

Since it worked normally a few month ago, System Restore is always your first choice.

In addition, to speed up your Windows 7, visit these links that i have provided below. In these links there are some tips n tricks to disable some unwanted services that are the main causes of slow system running.

Windows 7-performance tweaks.

Optimize Windows 7 for better performance

Windows 7 start up for speed.

Ways to improve your computer's performance

Thanks

Regards

Syed Asad Bukhari.

• Proposed as answer by Syed Asad Bukhari Friday, August 13, 2010 3:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:38 AM
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:45 AM
  • The main possible reasons for slowing the PC/OS:

1. low computer memory - update it

2. your temporary files are too heavy - delete those temp files

3. virus infected - scan your pc

These are the common reasons and solution to it if still you face the problem then [hyperlink to paid support redacted] for more tech help.

• Edited by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, January 6, 2013 11:47 PM Redact hyperlink to paid support
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:36 AM
  • What is slow? Boot? Shutdown?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 2:49 PM
  • Hi,

Please understand many factors(installed too many program, run too many program at same time, anti-virus software…. ) may cause Windows slow down. I found two good articles for you.

Top 10 Reasons Why Your Windows Computer Runs Slowly

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1542571/top_10_reasons_why_your_windows_computer.html?cat=15

10 Ways to Speed Up Your Slow Windows Computer

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1542461/10_ways_to_speed_up_your_slow_windows.html?cat=59

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:38 AM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:54 AM
  • I have been using Windows 7 for almost a year now and I haven’t noticed a lag in speed since the first install. I have been installing and unistalling drivers and programs and currently I do not using any startup programs to speed things up. However, my parents, whose PC runs on older hardware has seen a slight slow down on boot and general program use. We certainly cannot expect Windows to take all of the abuse an average user throws at it and have it continue to speed up or stay the same, so I gave my parents some elementary, yet helpful tips for maintaing their PC’s performance, not just in Windows 7, but in any version of Windows. I thought this might be helpful for other users as well:

1. You’re running out of space – As is often the case with PC’s who have had a Windows installation for a while without reformatting, an at-capacity hard drive may slow down your Windows 7 installation. Most users will constantly install new software and never give a thought about removing previous installations or unused softwares titles. I can’t tell you how many times a friend has asked me to speed up their computer, only to find that they have a five-page list of programs on their PC that needs to be removed.

2. Time to run a disk defragmenter – When a user is constantly installing an uninstalling programs, a hard drive will leave pieces of those programs in different places throughout the drive. When the user goes to use a specific program, the hard drive will need to search different locations to access that information, creating a longer wait time. To remedy this, a hard drive should be defragmented fairly often. I would say every few months, at least, to keep everything running smoothly.
    3. Garbage-ware and installing more and more and more programs – This point is almost directly related to point number 1 because new programs are the main reason for a hard drive being at capacity. It is worth mentioning that small programs and garbage-ware downloaded from the internet are often a huge cause of a PC slowing down. My rule of thumb is to only have programs installed that are going to be used on a daily basis or are a necessity. Anything else is just going to get in the way.

4. Startup programs kill boot times – I am always looking at speeding up boot times and usually this can be achieved by keeping those startup programs from loading everytime Windows does. Most garbage-ware comes with a small program that loads itself on Windows startup and stays running, in the background, slowing things down even more. For those not used to solving this problem, you can access a list of startup programs by clicking on Start then typing ‘msconfig’ into the search box (in earlier versions of Windows:  Start->Run and type in ‘msconfig‘ and click OK). You will then click on the Startup tab and uncheck those programs that you’d prefer not to have run at startup. (Do some research on which programs to uncheck, because some may need to start up when Windows does)

5. Certain Security software is sometimes a drag – While a few security suites have slimmed down their software to keep from hogging resources, there are a few name suites that continue to slow PC’s down because they are constantly running. You may want to test a few out and see which ones are known to hog resources.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 10:55 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your sharing.

This reply you provide can be beneficial to other community members who have the similar questions, the effort you give is very appreciated!

Thanks again for your contribution here!

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 7:35 AM
  • he is a bot who steals other posts. This poist was copied from here:

http://rddweb.com/is-windows-7-slowing-down-lets-fix-it/

Such SPAM post are NOT useful.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, August 13, 2010 12:47 PM
  • I don’t recommend any third party programs to help other than malwarebytes, rkill, and ms security essentials.  I would first download rkill, run it, run malwarebytes full scan.  Check programs installed to and get rid of the junk like any toolbar, registry cleaner and odd looking programs.  Check your startup folder in the programs folder within the start button to make sure it is empty.  run msconfig.exe, go to the services tab, check the Hide all Microsoft services box (unless you want to disable tablet and smartcard services), uncheck services that waste memory, such as Google update, abobe services, Mozilla, any and ALL blank ones (that’s most likely spyware), macromedia, etc.. (I only leave iPod services, apple, mobile devices, bonjour service, and any needed licensing services running.  Then go to the startup tab.  Uncheck all unnecessary boxes; I only leave usb 3.0 monitor and Microsoft security client checked.  Click apply. And restart.  Run disk cleanup and clean as an administrator.  Run a disk defragmenter (windows tools are fine but dos is more thorough).  lastly to give the net speed a boost, run cmd as an administrator, then type "netsh winsock reset", wait, then type "ipconfig /flushdns", wait, then type "ipconfig /renew".

The steps above will clean and renew how windows 7 runs better than originally installed and ANY factory preloaded software.  Once again, third party registry and cleanpc programs ARE NOT THE ANSWER, CLEAN PROGRAMMING IS THE BEST.

Example:  Your house gets dirty; you clean it, not through rugs on top the mess.

Also, whithin MSCONFIG, in the BOOT tab, change the timeout to 3 seconds, click the advanced options button and limit the # of processors to how many processors and/or cores your processesor has, limith the maximum memory to the amount of ram you have, checking it should calculate it automaticaly.   Lastly if you wanted to readjust the page file 3 the be set at 3 times the amount of ram you have that will help windows from constantly readjusting/calculating the swap.  hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by ZillaThaKilla Friday, June 1, 2012 1:51 AM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 1:40 AM