WSS 3.0 "free product" RRS feed

• Question

• With WSS 3.0 running on a Windows 2003 server - is it possible to use InfoPath forms filled our via the browser and to get the data saved to a database?

Or is it just a feature of MOSS Enterprise?

Thanks
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 7:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• It's a feature of MOSS Enterpise Edition.  Forms server was once a separate product, but no longer.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/formsserver/FX100490391033.aspx
    "Office Forms Server 2007 is no longer available for purchase.  The capabilities of Forms Server will continue to be part of SharePoint."

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:26 AM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:08 PM
  • Thanks

Still unclear on this - with only WSS 3.0 what can be done with InfoPath 2007

i.e. can it store form data?

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:25 PM
  • You can create a form or document library and use the full IP client.  What you lose is the ability to use IP web forms.

/bac
    • Proposed as answer by BobChauvin Wednesday, September 16, 2009 4:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Thursday, September 17, 2009 7:12 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:27 PM
  • Hi

bobchauvin is right. you cannot have InfoPath browser enabled form with WSS v3. It needs MOSS enterprise edition.You can read the article below:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/andrew_may/archive/2006/07/10/SharePointBeta2InfoPathFormsinContentTypes.aspx

Hope this helps.

Lu Zou
    • Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Thursday, September 17, 2009 7:12 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 7:09 AM
  • Thanks to all who replied.

I have 2 simple questions:

It has been decided to use WSS3.0 and InfoPath 2003.

1. Our users have Office 2003 but no InfoPath. We will purchase InfoPath 2003 as a standalone client. But if we decided to purchase InfoPath 2007 will this work in our Office 2003 environment?

2. Does WSS3.0 (the free product) in Windows server 2003 come with a database? Where does the XML data get stored? I am assuming we do not need to purchase SQL Server license.

Thanks
    Friday, September 18, 2009 9:24 AM

• > 1. Our users have Office 2003 but no InfoPath. We will purchase InfoPath 2003 as a standalone client. But if we decided to purchase InfoPath 2007 will this work in our Office 2003 environment?

Do they have Office 2003 Professional (or above)? If so, they already have a license for it. Go back to the install and add it.

InfoPath 2007 will work, but you will then have a mixed Office install which will occationaly be a problem. For example, SharePoint's Import Excel File will fail. (that one's an easy fix though: http://techtrainingnotes.blogspot.com/2008/02/sharepoint-excel-2003-import-and.html

> 2. Does WSS3.0 (the free product) in Windows server 2003 come with a database?
    Yes, the "limited to SharePoint" only WMSDE product. It's a some what hidden install with no SQL tools installed. Do a web search on "sharepoint 2007 wmsde" for more info. This is typically used with a "basic" or "single server" install of WSS.

> Where does the XML data get stored? I am assuming we do not need to purchase SQL Server license.
    The InfoPath XML? In a SharePoint library. I'm assuming you will be publishing the InfoPath form to a SharePoint library so the users can click the library's New button. When they save it will default back to the same library.

> I am assuming we do not need to purchase SQL Server license.
    Not if you are content with WMSDE...

Before using WMSDE think about your future needs to scale the SharePoint farm to more than one server...

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 12:03 AM