error code 0xC0000005 RRS feed

• Question

• So heres what happened... 

The problems began after it completed Gathering files and it had to restart.  It rebooted and started Expanding files.  Then it just stopped at 21% and gave me the error,

"Windows installation encountered an unexpected error.  Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the insallation.  Error code: 0xC0000005."

I rebooted it again and all the time it just gives me the error.  I rebooted one more time and instead pressed a key to boot from the DVD.  This gives me a buncha options like complete system restore and I do NOT want to do that sooooooo....I need help.  Has anyone had that problem?

Sunday, February 4, 2007 1:25 AM

Answers

All replies

• Read this helpful guide: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=796452&SiteID=17 and let me in the know.

Good luck

Sunday, February 4, 2007 12:08 PM
  • I have. Spent lot's of time to try to resolve it, which did actually happen. What i tried:

1. Removed ALL external devices attached to my notebook.

2. Uninstalled McAfee and Webroot Spysweeper.

3. Went to msconfig and disabled every non-microsoft service at startup.

Install then did proceed to completion.

Not sure which of the above helped. Not an expert, but appears that there was an incompatible device driver, or an incompatible service running.

Not sure, but in recent weeks (under xp) i had been receiving a svchost.exe, for which i attempted to apply a patch.

Also, and it may be a co-incidence, if you google the error, in every case that i saw there was an windows/xpsp2 installation upgrading to Vista Ultimate.

HTH, norm

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 9:04 PM
  • I had this exact issue.  I resolve the problem by copying the entire contents of the DVD (in my case I had an ISO image and attached as a virtual disk) to a folder on a second hard disk.  I then ran setup (I upgraded from XP Pro SP2) from there.  At 21% the machine rebooted (this is what is supposed to happen) and after that it continued setup.

So, probably any way you can run setup without using the DVD/DVD drive will work.

Friday, March 9, 2007 9:23 PM