none
NSlookup fails first time, everytime. RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, this one is baffling me.

Two Server 2016 DC's.<o:p></o:p>

from DC1 issue the following:<o:p></o:p>

nslookup xxx.com --> i get DNS request timeouts and then the line stating request to my DC01.FQDN timed-out<o:p></o:p>

I then re-issue the nslookup xxx.com --> i get two timeouts (i'd expect this as its hitting his local dns and then trying the second dns then going to root hints) and then it resolves with the non-authoritative answer for the website.

<o:p>Now no matter how many times i reissue that xxx nslookup, it will now work, even if i issue a ipconfig /flushdns it still resolves.</o:p>

<o:p>If i try any other website, it always times out on the first try...always.Even if i issue a nslookup yyy.com. (withe the trailing dot, it fails on its first attempt.</o:p>

I cannot figure this one out.  Any help or a sanity check would be appreciated.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:43 PM

Answers

• Hey John,

Thanks for the reply.  I think I've narrowed this down to an oddity in server 2016 and how it deals with adding forwarders during a DCpromo vs previous versions.  If you utilize powershell to build a domain, for some reason it will automatically add your DC's as forwarders in DNS, which causes this intermittent resolution issue.  By removing them after the domain and DNS is configured, my resolution works every time.  Running the same Powershell scripts in 2012R2 doesn't add any fwder addresses.  Hope this help someone. 

• Marked as answer by Slade1040 Wednesday, April 19, 2017 3:20 PM
    Friday, March 31, 2017 5:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Slade,

>> i get two timeouts (i'd expect this as its hitting his local dns and then trying the second dns then going to root hints) and then it resolves with the non-authoritative answer for the website.

Please ensure connection performance is normal between DNS server(or forwarder) and clients.

Or you could check if there is any related information exist on clients.

How about query result from DNS server to forwarder?

Please ensure CPU usage and memory usage is correct on DNS server.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 31, 2017 9:16 AM
  • Hey John,

Thanks for the reply.  I think I've narrowed this down to an oddity in server 2016 and how it deals with adding forwarders during a DCpromo vs previous versions.  If you utilize powershell to build a domain, for some reason it will automatically add your DC's as forwarders in DNS, which causes this intermittent resolution issue.  By removing them after the domain and DNS is configured, my resolution works every time.  Running the same Powershell scripts in 2012R2 doesn't add any fwder addresses.  Hope this help someone. 

• Marked as answer by Slade1040 Wednesday, April 19, 2017 3:20 PM
    Friday, March 31, 2017 5:42 PM