Failure to report available updates RRS feed

• Question

• I have a number of Windows 2008 R2 servers that use WSUS to obtain security updates. I have discovered that a small number have not been receiving essenmtial updates what they should have received. Both client and server communicate and the client WSUS log file reports that no updates are required and so no updates are downloaded and applied.

This means that because both WSUS and the client are in communication and no updates are required a WSUS report suggests all servers are up to date when in fact this small number of servers have not received essential security updates.

There is no indication that there is any issue on the client either in the WSUS Log file or the System Event Log.

Is there anything I can do that would force both client and WSUS to properly re-evaluate what updates the client requires?

Kevin Gallagher

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 2:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Kev Gallagher,

1. What is the version of the WSUS server , is it on Server 2008R2?

2 Are the security updates synced and approved on the WSUS server for the clients?

3. On the clients, check updates online to test if they can detect updates from Microsoft Update.

4. On the WSUS server, please run Server Cleanup Wizard, on the clients, reset windows update components, check if it could help:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 5:15 AM
  • Hi,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help? If yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if not, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 29, 2017 6:38 AM