none
A published app on Remote Desktop Services will not launch

Question

• I am trying to launch a published app that is housed on a Windows 2008 R2 server running Remote Desktop Services.  I access the server via the internet and can log on to the initial sign-in screen to see the apps.  Once I click on an app a box appear with a warning about trusting the publisher.  I hit connect and the app tries to launch but after 30-45 seconds the window with the app listed disappears leaving me at the initial sign-in page with all of the published apps listed.  I am told this is a security issue within Windows 8.1 that I need to fix.  Any ideas where this item is and how to fix it?
    Monday, November 24, 2014 9:43 PM

Answers

• Actually it turned out to be an update I recently downloaded.  I uninstalled the update from KB3000850 and everything started working properly.  I am seeing lots of issues regarding this update so downloader beware.
    • Marked as answer by LDW-AR Tuesday, November 25, 2014 2:31 PM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 2:27 PM

All replies

• Hi LDW-AR,

Would you please share the exact details of the warning you have got?

I recommeng you to follow these steps to have a troubleshoot.

1.Temporarily turn off firewall and anti-virus software to have a try .

2.Confirm whether this issue happened on other users account. You may need to contact the admin on the Windows 2008 R2 server side and see if there’re some errors on the server side.

3.Collect the log information for further analysis.

Event Viewer\Windows Logs, Event Viewer\Applications and Services Logs\RemoteApp and Desktop connection and the other channels related to the reomte desktop connection in this path.

4.To fix the trust issue, here is a link for reference(Win8.1 share the same policy):

How to resolve the issue: “A website wants to start a remote connection. The publisher of this remote connection cannot be identified

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2011/04/05/how-to-resolve-the-issue-a-website-wants-to-start-a-remote-connection-the-publisher-of-this-remote-connection-cannot-be-identified.aspx

Best regards

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 12:21 PM
  • Actually it turned out to be an update I recently downloaded.  I uninstalled the update from KB3000850 and everything started working properly.  I am seeing lots of issues regarding this update so downloader beware.
    • Marked as answer by LDW-AR Tuesday, November 25, 2014 2:31 PM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 2:27 PM
  • We had the exact same symptoms as LDW-AR, but server is Windows Standard Server 2012 R2.  On a new Windows 8.1 Pro desktop with all Windows Updates installed, we were able to login to RDWeb but could not successfully launch a RemoteApp; we could connect via RDP client with no issues. 

Uninstalling the update KB 3000850 restored RemoteApp functionality.

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 2:33 PM
  • I have noticed the same behavior in our environment. After installing KB3000850 on Windows 8.1, I could no longer launch a RemoteApp. I would get a pop-up window asking to authenticate against our connection broker round-robin address, and then when the RemoteApp window appears, I get nothing but a black screen. Uninstalling the update resolves the issue for me.
    Friday, January 02, 2015 9:14 PM