Word 2010 replace list numbering style RRS feed

• Question

• How do I find a numbered list style and replace it with another using Find & Replace? For instance, I want to change all instances of

a)

b)

c)

to:

i)

ii)

iii)

• Edited by sluice Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:51 PM
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:40 PM

Answers

• You can't do it using Find and Replace—unless numbering was created with styles, in which case you can replace one style with another.

If this is direct numbering formatting, make use of Select All X Instances as follows: In the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), click the Options link. In the Style Pane Options dialog box, select "Bullet and numbering formatting" under "Select formatting to show as styles," and click OK. Locate the number format you are using in the Styles pane, right-click and choose Select All X Instances. Then apply the new format to the selection.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by sluice Tuesday, May 28, 2013 8:07 PM
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:03 PM

All replies

• You can't do it using Find and Replace—unless numbering was created with styles, in which case you can replace one style with another.

If this is direct numbering formatting, make use of Select All X Instances as follows: In the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), click the Options link. In the Style Pane Options dialog box, select "Bullet and numbering formatting" under "Select formatting to show as styles," and click OK. Locate the number format you are using in the Styles pane, right-click and choose Select All X Instances. Then apply the new format to the selection.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by sluice Tuesday, May 28, 2013 8:07 PM
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:03 PM
  • Thanks to share the helpful information to us. This will help the others who meet the same issue.

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:54 AM