Manually remove SCCM site configuration from SQL server? RRS feed

• Question

• I am experiencing the following problem and would appreciate any advice you can give.

• I had an existing SCCM 2012 environment that was working fine running on a SQL 2008 R2 server. I'll call them SCCM1.DOMAINA and SQL1.DOMAINA.
    • My company merged with another and the decision was made for us to move into their domain (DOMAINB)
    • I knew that I would need rebuild the SCCM environment in DOMAINB
    • When the migration occured SQL1.DOMAINA was migrated to DOMAINB which broke SCCM1.DOMAINA
    • I setup a temporary replacement SQL server to fix the environment (SQL2.DOMAINA)
    • I reconfigured SCCM1.DOMAINA to use SQL2.DOMAINA and everything was OK
    • I then installed SCCM2.DOMAINB and had to use SQL1.DOMAINB as my database server (Note: The same SQL server as the previous SCCM site)
    • I had removed the roles and site server status of SQL1 from SCCM1 and the status messages showed it was successful
    • When I tried to add some additional roles in SCCM2 I was getting failures and messages indicating that SQL1 was a member the SCCM1 site and therefore could not be used for SCCM2
    • I checked the SCCM1 logs and three days after successfully removing the role SCCM1.DOMAINA tried to talk to SQL1 as if it were still on DOMAINA and reported that the network path couldn't be found
    • I modified the hosts file so now SCCM1 can talk to it but it just says: Site Component Manager failed to deinstall all Configuration Manager Server Components from site system "\\SQL1.DOMAINA".
    • It tells me to check previous status messages but there are no other errors.

Now the point: SCCM2 installed on SQL1 but won't now install additional roles because it thinks SQL1 is still associated with SCCM1. How can I clean up SQL1 so SCCM2 will use it cleanly?

• Edited by R Sweet Wednesday, March 27, 2013 7:20 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 7:19 PM

All replies

• It's not supported to change the domain membership of a server where ConfigMgr is installed on. The supported way would have been: setup a new CM12 site and migrate the existing objects (using CM12's migration jobs).
    The SQL server can be changed by running setup of ConfigMgr again.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:21 AM
  • Yeah, I did know that. It wasn't the SCCM server that had its domain change it was the SQL server. The SCCM server always stayed on the same domain.

When the SQL server was migrated the SCCM server wouldn't talk to it anymore so I built a temporary SQL server back on the original domain to move the databases to. When I did this the SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER messages log showed it was successful. But then you see three days later it tried to reach it again.

On the 17th when it tried to reach SQL1 again it was a member of DOMAINB so I modified the hosts file. SCCM1 can see it now but says gives new errors:

From SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER

WARNING >> Site Component Manager is deinstalling all Configuration Manager Server Components from site system "\\SQL1.DOMAINA".

ERROR >> Site Component Manager failed to deinstall all Configuration Manager Server Components from site system "\\SQL1.DOMAINA".

From Site Status node in SCCM1 which still shows this SQL1 server

INFO >> Site Component Manager is deinstalling this component from this site system.

ERROR >> Site Component Manager failed to deinstall this component from this site system.

ERROR >> Site Component Manager successfully used the SMS_SERVER_BOOTSTRAP_SCCMPRDR01 service to run the following program on site system "\\SQL1.DOMAINA":

\\SQL1.DOMAINA\E$\SMS\bin\x64\perfsetup.exe /deinstall /siteserver:SCCM1.DOMAINA

The program failed for the following reason:

The file "\\SQL1.DOMAINA\E$\SMS\bin\x64\perfsetup.exe" does not exist.

Possible cause: Site Component Manager does not have sufficient access rights to administer the site system.
    Solution: Verify that the Site System Installation accounts are properly configured to allow the site to administer the site system.

Site Component Manager cannot install component SMS_EXECUTIVE until the program runs successfully. If this problem persists, refer to your ConfigMgr Documentation or the Microsoft Knowledge Base for further troubleshooting information.

ERROR >> Site System Status Summarizer still cannot access storage object "\\SQL1.DOMAINA\E$\SMS" on site system "\\SQL1.DOMAINA".

Possible cause: The site system is turned off, not connected to the network, or not functioning properly.
    Solution: Verify that the site system is turned on, connected to the network, and functioning properly.

Possible cause: Site System Status Summarizer does not have sufficient access rights to connect to the site system and access the storage object.
    Solution: Verify that the accounts are properly configured to allow the site to connect to the site system and access the storage object.

Possible cause: Network problems are preventing Site System Status Summarizer from connecting to the site system.
    Solution: Investigate and correct any problems on your network.

Possible cause: You took the site system out of service and do not intend on using it as a site system any more.
    Solution: Remove the site system from the list of site systems used by this site; this list appears under Site Systems in the Configuration Manager Console.

Possible cause: You accidentally deleted the storage object or took the storage object out of service.
    Solution: The components will eventually detect that the storage object no longer exists on the site system and will either recreate it or choose a new storage object. Monitor the status messages reported by other site components to verify that this occurs properly.

The storage object has been inaccessible since "3/27/2013 2:20:33 PM". When you correct the problem and Site System Status Summarizer successfully accesses the storage object, Site System Status Summarizer will set the storage object's status to OK, providing that the storage object has sufficient free space.

• Edited by R Sweet Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:14 PM
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:12 PM