none
IE 10 Favorites locks up browser RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I open my browser and click on Favorites, my browser locks up for about three minutes.  I've tried deleting all of my favorites and adding new favorites.  It does the same thing.   I've uninstalled IE 10, and reinstalled it.  I've run an SFC scan.  Anyone have any other ideas? 
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:11 PM

Answers

• Every time I open my browser and click on Favorites, my browser locks up for about three minutes. 

Use ProcMon to find out what is taking so long?

Oh.  Here is a related scenario that you can use to try to find a workaround for yours.

Run...  e.g. press Win-R and enter:

iexplore.exe  -nohome  -extoff

Now, if I press Ctrl-Shift-I I can pin the Favorites tab and thus see it.  However, when I first tried to use just the Favorites button (aka press Alt-c or Ctrl-i) nothing happened until I used Stop (Alt-V,p).   However, YMMV because retesting this case again now finds nothing wrong with either action.

So, let that be an instance of your "every time" and see what happens with it.   ; }

BTW ICIM the above results were with IE10 EPM (so 64-bit) on W7.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:13 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I suggest you can try to start the computer in Clean boot to avoid conflicts with third party software to check the result.

1. Press the Win+R key combination and type msconfig in the run box and hit enter

2. Click on the On the General tab,

3. Click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)

4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

5. Note This step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.

6. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Also, you can reset Internet Explorer settings and then check how it works.

1. Open Internet Explorer.

2. Press “Alt key + X” from keyboard and select “Internet Options”.

3. Select “Advanced” tab and then select “Reset” under “Reset Internet Explorer Settings”.

Note
    : The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 22, 2013 3:15 AM

All replies

• Every time I open my browser and click on Favorites, my browser locks up for about three minutes. 

Use ProcMon to find out what is taking so long?

Oh.  Here is a related scenario that you can use to try to find a workaround for yours.

Run...  e.g. press Win-R and enter:

iexplore.exe  -nohome  -extoff

Now, if I press Ctrl-Shift-I I can pin the Favorites tab and thus see it.  However, when I first tried to use just the Favorites button (aka press Alt-c or Ctrl-i) nothing happened until I used Stop (Alt-V,p).   However, YMMV because retesting this case again now finds nothing wrong with either action.

So, let that be an instance of your "every time" and see what happens with it.   ; }

BTW ICIM the above results were with IE10 EPM (so 64-bit) on W7.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:13 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I suggest you can try to start the computer in Clean boot to avoid conflicts with third party software to check the result.

1. Press the Win+R key combination and type msconfig in the run box and hit enter

2. Click on the On the General tab,

3. Click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)

4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

5. Note This step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.

6. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Also, you can reset Internet Explorer settings and then check how it works.

1. Open Internet Explorer.

2. Press “Alt key + X” from keyboard and select “Internet Options”.

3. Select “Advanced” tab and then select “Reset” under “Reset Internet Explorer Settings”.

Note
    : The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 22, 2013 3:15 AM