Sequecing Computer for App-v RDS Client RRS feed

• Question

• I have read through the sequencing whitepapers but I couldn't seem to find the information I needed on sequecing apps for the App-v RDS Client - hopefully someone out there can help me out.

All our user machines are Windows XP. As we are only using the App-v RDS client does that mean that our app sequencer machine can only be the same as the RDS Session Host Server OS (i.e. Windows 2008 R2 64 bit)? Can we use a sequencer machine that matches our user's OS and deliver the app through the app-v RDS client on our RDS Servers? 

thanks.

Monday, April 9, 2012 4:04 PM

Answers

• Hi, Not only be on RDS but the best results would be if you did do it on the same OS as you are targetting.

I believe as of 4.6SP1, the recommended practice was to sequence on your lowest common build so if you needed apps to go on XP. Use XP. It's not a necessity to sequence on the build, in most cases if you were to sequence on a different OS e.g. Win7 x64, it would most likely work on the RDS. Just ensure you include the correct OS tag during sequencing or don't include any OS Tag (allow the app to launch on any OS)

Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Proposed as answer by RorymonMVP Monday, April 9, 2012 4:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by brownfc Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:26 AM
    Monday, April 9, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Hello,

According to the sequencing whitepaper - the recommended platform for sequencing is the same as the target platform. I would suggest you simply test your packages on the platform you are delivering them to.

Sequencing whitepaper is available here;
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/appvirtualization/cc843994

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

All replies

• Hi, Not only be on RDS but the best results would be if you did do it on the same OS as you are targetting.

I believe as of 4.6SP1, the recommended practice was to sequence on your lowest common build so if you needed apps to go on XP. Use XP. It's not a necessity to sequence on the build, in most cases if you were to sequence on a different OS e.g. Win7 x64, it would most likely work on the RDS. Just ensure you include the correct OS tag during sequencing or don't include any OS Tag (allow the app to launch on any OS)

• Proposed as answer by RorymonMVP Monday, April 9, 2012 4:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by brownfc Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:26 AM
  • Hello,

According to the sequencing whitepaper - the recommended platform for sequencing is the same as the target platform. I would suggest you simply test your packages on the platform you are delivering them to.

Sequencing whitepaper is available here;
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/appvirtualization/cc843994

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Agreed with Znack also. Sequence and test on your platform. I'd sequence on a 64-bit VM for sure.

4.6SP1 Warning when you try to sequence on Win7 and include the OS tag for XP:

http://rorymon.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Warning.jpg

Monday, April 9, 2012 4:53 PM
  • ok. Thanks for the info, I'll try testing our apps on both WinXP and 2008 platforms and see how we get on.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:27 AM