none
Exporting/Importing Local GPO in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have 10 laptops with Win7 Pro. They are for my field clients. They do not connect to a domain. I created a local user account (same across all 10 laptops), and then created a local GPO for that account.

Is there any way I can export, then import that local GPO from laptop to laptop without creating a new one from scratch for each laptop?

There are 70 changes to the local GPO file, and it's really time consuming doing each laptop.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Copy the contents of c:\windows\system32\grouppolicy from your reference machine to the other machines. Note that this is a hidden folder so you'll need to modify your folder view options to see it.

Thanks,

Guy
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:07 PM
  • See the following article:

How can I export local Group Policy settings made in gpedit.msc

http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog/?p=31

Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 5:39 AM
  • Incase anyone is wondering, this works on Windows 2008 R2 also. Just ensure that the value assigned to version in C:\windows\system32\grouppolicy\gpt.ini is larger on the target system than it is on the source system.

Brad

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:22 PM
  • A simpler/supported method is to use the LocalGPO tool that is included with the Microsoft Security Compliance Manager described here: http://microsoft.com/scm

LocalGPO allows you to export Local Policy settings (INF, POL, Audit, firewall, etc) to a GPO Backup... you can then use LocalGPO together with the GPO Backup to apply settings to other computers. The latest version also creates what is called a GPOPack... which lets you apply settings to other computers with a single double-click:

1. User LocalGPO to create a GPOPack based on the local policy configuration of your reference computer
    2. Copy the GPOPack to the local drive of your target computer.
    3. Double-click the GPOPack.wsf inside the GPOPack

All settings configured in the local policy of the reference computer will be configured on the target computer in just a few seconds.

Hope his helps!

• Proposed as answer by BDS74 Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:40 AM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:08 PM
  • This is probably the most useful tool I've come accross all year  - excellent post - thanks Jofer!
    Brad
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:41 AM
  • Hi

I have navigated to the folder but it is empty even though there are group policies in place. There is also another folder GroupPolicyUsers... but it is also empty.

Regards

Friday, November 4, 2016 9:06 AM