none
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort4 RRS feed

• Question

• I have already noticed a lot of problems with event ID 11 source ATAPI, error message The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort4, but...

HW configuration:
    intel dp35dp
    HDD Samsung SP1613N
    In Windows XP no problem, in Linux no problem, in Windows 7 controller error.

What has been done:
    Reinstall
    Installing new BIOS
    Switching from IDE to AHCI mode
    Installing Intel's drivers
    Removal of ATAPI controller device from device manager and reboot
    Changing ATAPI driver for IDE controller driver
    Chkdsk /r
    Checking SMART state

I found out, that if I turn off DMA mode, no new error messages appears, But computer is running slow in PIO mode.
    Do you have any idea?
    Thanks

------- Michal Stoppl
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:12 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:13 PM

Answers

• Hi MStoppl,

Thanks for posting in TechNet forum.

Based on your description, I think this old hard disk does not support DMA mode in Windows 7.

The only workaround is using PIO mode, otherwise, you need a new one.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by MStoppl Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:30 AM
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:24 AM

All replies

• Hi MStoppl,

Thanks for posting in TechNet forum.

Based on your description, I think this old hard disk does not support DMA mode in Windows 7.

The only workaround is using PIO mode, otherwise, you need a new one.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by MStoppl Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:30 AM
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:24 AM
  • I was getting this same error accompanied by performance problems.  I tried many cures. I determined that the error was moving to different ports whenever I moved the Hard drive between sata ports.  I tried formatting the C: partition while reinstalling the OS but that didn't fix it.  Finally I tried deleting all the drive volumes and partitions to get a completely bare drive while reinstalling Windows 7 and that did fix the problem. I suspect that a boot sector problem (virus?) was the culprit but could not pinpoint an actual cause.
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 5:07 PM