Windows Server 2012 Installation Error :setup has failed to validate product key RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I am trying to install windows server 2008 r2 and facing the below issue .Can any  one help me how can I solve this.

Thanks, 

SAM.

• Edited by SP Assest Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:35 AM
    • Moved by Brandon Records Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:59 PM Moved to more appropriate forum.
    Friday, November 13, 2015 8:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It indicate that it's an Enterprise version and OEM, OEM versions are only available to OEMs.

For your question, I want to double confirm how you get this installation file. If you use OEM and have question with it, I recommend contact OEM manufacturer for assistance.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by SP Assest Friday, November 20, 2015 1:25 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 2:33 AM

All replies

• Does your Server 2008 R2 installation really show a Windows 8.1 error???
    Friday, November 13, 2015 6:33 PM
  • Dear Tri,

After your reply I had seen the version and I see it's windows server 2012

Thanks,
    SAM.

• Edited by SP Assest Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:35 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2015 3:49 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I understand that you want to install Windows server 2008 R2, however it display Windows 8.1 installation.

I want to double confirm whether you get this installation file. If you install Windows with this error, it might be cause by the version of your currently system isn't same with installation file. Please try to create a USB boot and install Windows with this.

If you want to install Windows from hard disk, please open installation file and switch to Sources, then open EI.CFG with notepad, modify it and save.
    More details about Windows Setup Edition Configuration and Product ID Files (EI.cfg and PID.txt), for your reference: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824952.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang

Monday, November 16, 2015 6:51 AM
  • Dear Allen,

Thanks for your support ,I implemented below information in PID txt file and in ei file after extracting my ISO file(2008.R2.SP1.ESD.en-US).

But I don't find any luck,Can you please help me in providing any standard or enterprise key and implement the right code structure or code syntax in PID file

EI File:

[EditionID]
    Enterprise
    [Channel]
    OEM
    [VL]

Product Key:(Evaluation Key) 

[PID]
    Value=489J6-VHDMP-X63PK-3K798-CPX3Y

Thanks,

SAM

• Edited by SP Assest Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:40 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:34 AM
  • Hi,

It indicate that it's an Enterprise version and OEM, OEM versions are only available to OEMs.

For your question, I want to double confirm how you get this installation file. If you use OEM and have question with it, I recommend contact OEM manufacturer for assistance.

Allen Wang

• Marked as answer by SP Assest Friday, November 20, 2015 1:25 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 2:33 AM
  • You should also note that you have posted this question about Windows Server activation in the forum for Windows 8.1 questions. I will move it to the Windows Server forum.

It is also noteworthy that Enterprise is not a valid edition of Windows Server 2012 R2 (or Windows Server 2012). Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2 are available only in Datacenter, Standard, Essentials, and Foundation.

Brandon
    Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
    Windows for IT Pros at TechNet

Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:59 PM