none
DPM Remote Admin Console crashes on startup after installing Rollup 5 RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed System Center DPM rollup 5 on our server (and restarted) and my admin PC. When I start the DPM admin client on my PC it crashes MMC on startup.  Clients with only rollup 4 installed can still launch the client without issue.

The error shows up in the event log as event 999 below:

An unexpected error caused a failure for process 'mmc'.  Restart the DPM process 'mmc'.

Problem Details:
    <FatalServiceError><__System><ID>19</ID><Seq>0</Seq><TimeCreated>2/11/2015 5:23:01 PM</TimeCreated><Source>DpmThreadPool.cs</Source><Line>163</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><ExceptionType>SqlNullValueException</ExceptionType><ExceptionMessage>Data is Null. This method or property cannot be called on Null values.</ExceptionMessage><ExceptionDetails>System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlNullValueException: Data is Null. This method or property cannot be called on Null values.
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBuffer.get_Boolean()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.ProtectableObject..ctor(Datasource dataSource, DpmServer server, OMSqlRetryReader reader, DpmObjectType type)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.Datasource..ctor(OMSqlRetryReader reader, Guid protectionGroupId, DpmObjectType objectType, DpmServer server)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.SQL.SQLDataSource..ctor(DpmServer dpmServer, OMSqlRetryReader reader, Guid protectionGroupId, SQLObjectType objectType)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.SQL.SQLObjectFactory.CreateDataSource(OMSqlRetryReader reader, Guid pgId, DpmObjectType objectType, DpmServer server)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.DpmHelper.ConstructDatasource(OMSqlRetryReader reader, Guid protectionGroupId, DpmServer dpmServer, InquiryPath jp)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.DpmServer.ReadOrphanProtectionGroup(IMCatalogDBReader dbReader)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.DpmServer.InitializeProtection()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Alert.AlertController.GetAlertsThreadStart(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
       at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()</ExceptionDetails></FatalServiceError>

Any insights as to how to resolve this or what could be going on? 

PS. I've also removed and reinstalled the remote client on my PC without any change in this behavior.  The console on the DPM server itself works however.

• Edited by Saper12 Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:48 PM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:47 PM

Answers

• You were correct, the update to the DPM server did not run properly...

Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 DPM Remote Administration version 4.2.1292.0
    Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 4.2.1273.0 on the server itself.

The update consistently fails when ran from windows update.  I've manually downloaded the rollup and am running it, but it seems to be hanging at the step of "Executing SQL Strings"  I'll let it sit for a good long time, but am worried I may have to abort and restart the process.

• Marked as answer by Saper12 Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:33 PM
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:09 PM

All replies

• Installed Remote Administration tools on a 32-bit windows 7 system.  When I connect with it I get an error 945.  SQL error code 2812 which is a general database failure...
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:26 PM
  • Can you please confirm the DPM Server version and DPM Remote Admin version where you are getting above exception.
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 12:49 PM

The update consistently fails when ran from windows update.  I've manually downloaded the rollup and am running it, but it seems to be hanging at the step of "Executing SQL Strings"  I'll let it sit for a good long time, but am worried I may have to abort and restart the process.

• Marked as answer by Saper12 Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:33 PM
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:09 PM
  • Manually running the Rollup let it complete successfully.  All services appear working again.
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:33 PM

How did you run the update? I get four files, each beginning with "Detectoid for System Center...". I ran the largest file, it successfully updated and asked if I wanted to start the console, but it still fails to fully open.
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 9:31 PM
  • got the same Problem over here...
    Friday, February 13, 2015 2:46 PM
  • Hi Guys

the GUI crashes issue after R5 in the following cases

Case1:

1. You have never protected the DPM server’s System State, with the DPM server itself
    2. You have protected some System State from other Production Servers
    3. You upgrade to UR5
    4. You trigger an inquiry on the DPM Server itself

Case2:

1. You have a primary DPM server protecting the System State of a Production Server
    2. You have attached the primary DPM server to a secondary DPM server for Disaster Recovery
    3. You upgrade the secondary DPM server to UR5
    4. You trigger an inquiry on the primary DPM server in the secondary DPM server UI

Then:

1. The UI crashes, and gets hung if you start it again
    2. Cmdlets are also unresponsive

Workaround:

1. Stop all DPM services (MSDPM, Access Manager, DPM Writer, DPMRA, VssNullProvider)
    2. Backup your DPM DB
    3. Open the SQL Server Management Studio (Either from Start Screen, or Run: ssms.exe)
    4. Connect to the SQL Instance holding the DPM DB
    5. Right click the DPM DB and click on “New Query”
    6. Paste the following SQL script:

DELETE FROM dbo.tbl_IM_ProtectedObject

WHERE ProtectedObjectId IN

(

SELECT PO.ProtectedObjectId

FROM dbo.tbl_IM_ProtectedObject AS PO

JOIN dbo.tbl_AM_Server AS SRVR

ON PO.ServerId = SRVR.ServerId

WHERE (CONVERT(VARCHAR(4096),PO.ComponentName) = 'System State' OR CONVERT(VARCHAR(4096),PO.ComponentName) = 'Bare Metal Recovery')

AND PO.ProtectedInPlan = 0

AND PO.ProtectedObjectId NOT IN (SELECT ProtectedObjectId FROM dbo.tbl_IM_ProtectedObjectAlerts)

AND LOWER(CONVERT(XML,PO.LogicalPath).value(

'(/child::ArrayOfInquiryPathEntryType/child::InquiryPathEntryType[attribute::Type="Server"]/attribute::Value)[1]',

'VARCHAR(4096)'

)) != LOWER(SRVR.ServerName)

)

1. Press F5 to execute
    2. Start all DPM services
    3. The UI and cmdlets should work normally as before

Thanks Islam

Islam Gomaa Microsoft MVP | System Center Data Protection Manager email: Islam @ Islam Gomaa.com Blog: http://owsug.ca/blogs/IslamGomaa Website: www.islamGomaa.com

Friday, February 13, 2015 3:04 PM
  • Just tested this script on my test environment with exact similar issues... works thanks! 
    Friday, February 13, 2015 3:42 PM
  • Script worked on my two servers.
    Friday, February 13, 2015 5:56 PM
  • hmmm - i think i was a bit to premature in my conclusion. After a few days now - the MMC is broken -again-..ill try to run the script again to test if this works....

edit: runned query etc again - mmc works - despite MMC didnt work in the first - the backup jobs still keep running - thats a good thing.

Still interested to know how to solve this permanently, hadnt these issues before.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 8:20 AM
  • Script worked fine. But I'm warring about Peter-Paul Kurstjens issue. Is it temporary solution?
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 11:32 AM
  • Hello ,

This is a permanent fix. , I will take a look to Peter's issue  

Islam Gomaa Microsoft MVP | System Center Cloud Datacenter Management email: Islam @ Islam Gomaa.com Blog: http://blog.islamGomaa.com

Thursday, February 19, 2015 11:50 AM
  • Hotfix for known issue with Update Rollup 5 for System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45914&WT.mc_id=rss_alldownloads_all

Have a nice day !!! DPM 2012 R2: Remove Recovery Points

Friday, March 6, 2015 6:09 AM