simplest way to stop connections to Sharepoint_Config RRS feed

• Question

• What's the best way to stop things connecting to the Sharepoint_Config databases. 

Every time I try and detach the ldf and mdf there appear to be active connections, and I can't detach the files.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Go to services.msc and stop all sharepoint related services to break the communication between the farm and DB.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    • Marked as answer by Thegus541 Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:54 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:28 PM

All replies

• restart the SQL service or just do a SP_WHO and then KILL all the connections (you could do a T-SQL script to do this).
    Florin DUCA
    MCITP Enterprise Admin, MCSE 2003 +Sec, MCITP/MCPD SP 2010, MCTS conf/dev WSS3/MOSS, MCPD ASP.Net 3.5, MCTS ISA 2006
    Logica Business Consulting, France
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Whilst SharePoint is running, the Web Applications will always want to connect.

By re-stating SQL, the connection will only re-establish itsself moments later. Your need to stop the IIS web services from your WFE and Application servers to fully stop any connections getting through.

Regards | Aaron www.aaron-rendell.co.uk | SharePoint Consultant | Microsoft Gold Partner - Silversands, Poole, Dorset, England
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:53 PM
  • I have stopped all iis applications restarted every SQL server service, there is still 1 active connection.

Off to research how SP_WHO or a T-SQL script can kill this

cheers

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Hi,

Go to services.msc and stop all sharepoint related services to break the communication between the farm and DB.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    • Marked as answer by Thegus541 Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:54 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:28 PM
  • Yes, as Rahul said there are other services (other that IIS) that use the config DB. For example you have the SharePoint timer service.

Sometimes it is easier to just kill all the SQL connections or restart the SQL service to perform a database offline. It does not work for long time but you still have a good window of opportunity and it is very easy to just restart 1 service (SQL service).

If you want to backup the config database and be in a supported scenario you need to stop the SharePoint farm (stop all the SharePoint services) ... according to MSDN.

Florin DUCA
    MCITP Enterprise Admin, MCSE 2003 +Sec, MCITP/MCPD SP 2010, MCTS conf/dev WSS3/MOSS, MCPD ASP.Net 3.5, MCTS ISA 2006
    Logica Business Consulting, France
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:11 PM
  • Ah yes. Foolishly I overlooked a number of SharePoint services.

I stopped:

Windows SharePoint Services Administration

Windows SharePoint Services Search  (Not running actually, issue to resolve here)

Windows SharePoint Services Timer

Windows SharePoint Services Tracing

Windows SharePoint Services VSS Writer

These may be specific to WSS 3.0 but after stopping them all I was able to detach the config DB, move the files and reattach from the new location.

Job done - thanks to all for your help. 

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:15 AM