none
System Reserved partition RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to have DPM protect the System Reserved partition (108MB partition with boot folder in it on some machines)?  I realize this is included in the BMR backup...but was looking to back it up directly.  Does it have to be done via PowerShell since it doesn't appear in the GUI?  The partition does not have a drive letter assigned to it.

Rob

• Moved by Larry Yin Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:28 PM (From:DPM 2012 Beta - Locked)
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:03 AM

Answers

• I didn't really say that I wanted to ONLY backup this system reserved partition.  My question was whether DPM has the ability to capture the partition or not.  Is there a way to capture the system reserved partition...or for that matter, any partition that does not have a drive letter assigned to it.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I beleive you would at least need to create a mount point for that volume and then direct DPM to proctect the mount point.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Friday, February 17, 2012 5:17 PM

All replies

• why you want backup this kind of partition? the bare metal require the system partition and the reserved partition, but if you backup only the reserved partition you can do nothing is case of restore.

S

S.Net
    MCITP Enterprise Administrator - MCTS Server Virtualization - Operations Manager 2007 - Exchange Server 2007 - MCSE-M
    S.Net Blog
    WindowServer.it
    WindowServer.it Learning Portal

Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:36 PM
  • I didn't really say that I wanted to ONLY backup this system reserved partition.  My question was whether DPM has the ability to capture the partition or not.  Is there a way to capture the system reserved partition...or for that matter, any partition that does not have a drive letter assigned to it.

Rob

Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:45 PM

Rob

Hi Rob,

I beleive you would at least need to create a mount point for that volume and then direct DPM to proctect the mount point.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Friday, February 17, 2012 5:17 PM