Question on recovering deleted items from Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I've read through so many articles that I'm more confused now then before.  I have a user who deleted a bunch of emails from Outlook 2010 and then went to folders, click on recovered deleted items button and purged the emails.  He of course realized that was a mistake and wants them restored if possible. I was told that I could recover from Exchange server.  I started reading through many articles and one of them said that I needed to verify that SingleItemRecoveryEnabled is true.. On Exchange 2010 that was suppose to be the default, well, the command "get-mailbox user | fl singleitemrecoveryenalbed,retaindeleteditemsfor"  shows that field is false.  Does that mean that there is no recovery?  

I also know that we have backups, but I have never recovered mailbox files before.  Hopefully I can pull out this person's mailbox and not have to restore the entire .edb file.. I would love to be able to extract and open it to recover the deleted items.

Any help would be appreciated..

William McConnell

Monday, February 1, 2016 9:50 PM

Answers

• If single item retention and litigation hold are false, then, no they are not recoverable if purged from the dumpster unless you have a backup of the database or a mailbox level backup.

Blog:    Twitter:   

• Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Monday, February 1, 2016 10:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by WillieMac99 Tuesday, February 2, 2016 7:09 PM
    Monday, February 1, 2016 10:26 PM