How can I use SCE to add features to an already deployed software package? RRS feed

• Question

• I previously pushed out a software package to all of our client machines.  The package was set to only install the portions of the program that we use.  Now, we need to install another part of the program.  I've created a new MSI with the installation options, but I don't know how to push this out with SCE.  Since it is actually the same version of the same program, with just slightly different installation options, will SCE clients see it as a needed update, or will they think they already have it?
    Friday, June 4, 2010 9:34 PM

Answers

• Hello Gai-jin,

This function is not built in SCE. I think it depends on the software itself.

If the software has a parameter or installation configuration file to tell how to install itself, create a new software package and test it.

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:44 AM
    Monday, June 7, 2010 10:51 AM

All replies

• Hello Gai-jin,

This function is not built in SCE. I think it depends on the software itself.

If the software has a parameter or installation configuration file to tell how to install itself, create a new software package and test it.

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:44 AM
    Monday, June 7, 2010 10:51 AM
  • I have tried to just rebuild the package, but that doesn't seem to work.  The software I'm trying to modify includes 3 parts.  Previously, we had 2 of the 3 parts installed on every machine, deployed through system center.  Now I need all 3 parts.  I've rebuilt the MSI to install all 3 parts, and deployed the package through SCE.  I check the deployment status report, and it shows that the package has been installed on computers in the group, but if I go to the computers in question, the 3rd part of the program is not installed. 

I think SCE is seeing the same version # of the same software already installed, and skipping the new package, even though the installation options aren't the same.

How can I force a reinstallation using this new package?

Monday, June 7, 2010 1:13 PM
  • Hello Gai-jin,

It seems that you must uninstall the old software at first.

How to Uninstall Deployed Software
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff730433.aspx

And then you can push the new software package to the agents.

Thanks, 

Yog Li - MSFT
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:40 AM