How to restore sharepoint 2007 server farm backup in a new server with same configuration ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everone,

In my requirement we had a SharePoint site running in SharePoint Server 2007 with SQL standard installed locally. I have the last complete farm backup taken from the central administration. My server is crashed and it is no more.

Is this possible to restore my site again in a new machine with same configuration using the backup i taken from the old server ?

If yes, please suggest me some ideas or any threads. while searching i can see the threads to restore the sites in the same machine using the backup, not in a fresh machine.

Also is there any security issues will arise while restore, since while restoring it will surely access the SQL DB. I dont know how the old server data can be restored in a new database while doing it from an another service accout. Also i can see the threads which suggest restoring using the old sql server itself, not the new one.

Thanks 
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 9:51 AM

Answers

All replies

• basically you will need to setup NEW MOSS 2007 server, and then in Central Administration use the Restore option and select all backup nodes.

If you have acccess to the original/old SQL databases, you can do it simplier (to restore everything):

1. Install new SharePoint 2007 binaries

2. During Configuration Wizard, select - join farm and select your SharePoint_Config database

you should be ok from there.

Regards, Stanisław Delost, MCP, MCTS, MCITP @ NETPRIME.

Check my SharePoint Blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:02 AM
  • Hi Stanisław,

Thanks for your reply.

Your update is ok if i am using the same old SQL database.  But in my case the old SQL database also not available which is installed locally in that old server.

So i need to install the new SQl database in my new machine and need to use it while restoring. Is this possible ?.

Thanks in Advance,
    Dhileep.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:32 AM
  • Hi Dhileep,

Here is an article about moving all SharePoint 2007 databases to another new server, you can check,

Move all databases (Office SharePoint Server 2007)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512725(v=office.12).aspx

Thanks

Daniel Yang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:57 AM