none
Configuration View Issue

Question

• I am using SCSM 2016 version 7.57487.0.  I am trying to build some configuration views. I got the view to get employee info from AD fine. Now, I need a computers view. Well actually a couple of them. My problem is that when I select the criteria, select computer, and add the Organizational Unit I want, the list is blank. However, if I remove the criteria for OU, the list will show all computers and not display anything in the OU column. Please refer to the image. I really need to build views for the different OUs and then views for the different OSes. I just cannot seem to get it to work.

If Life Is A Dream, What Will We See When We Wake Up?

Friday, May 04, 2018 3:38 PM

Answers

• Ok, there is no change. The computers still do not show the OU or the IP address. I can live with the IP address being in the view, nut i do really need the OU. Any other ideas? The idea of setting up runbooks to schedule an export and an import of AD info is not feasible in our environment.

• Marked as answer by MEHernandez Thursday, June 07, 2018 12:47 PM
    Monday, May 21, 2018 1:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

is the OU attribute populated on your computer objects at all?

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Monday, May 07, 2018 8:29 AM
  • in the attribute for distinguished name, it shows as CN=CSMSD****,OU=CSM*****,OU=CO****,DC=Oc***,DC=***

Obviously each server lists its own name for the CN. Operating system attribute is populated ( i just mention that since that is another view I need)

Monday, May 07, 2018 1:09 PM
  • In the all computers view, it does not show anything on the Organizational Unit box. I think this would then mean that there might be a connector issue? or am I wrong?

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 12:48 PM
  • Hey,

when you browse to the CI (user) and open it, does the OU field contain a value? If not, then you have it.

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 12:56 PM
  • CI, Users, "username", Organizational Unit = Users,****,Departments,20*****

It then appears that I have it. If the users have the OU, why wouldn't the computers read it?

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 1:04 PM
  • Hm,

I currently don't have an access to SCSM, but what I found is this:

AD Site and OU missing from SCSM?

not that helpful in providing an explaination of this behavior. 

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 1:15 PM
  • I read through the info and I attempted to recreate what they suggested as a work around/fix. Unfortunately, the solution was build for scsm2010. I use scsm2016. The options are not the same. They say to look for distinguished name. That is not able to be selected because it does not show in any of the available properties on any of the combination classes.

I appreciate any assistance that you give. It is giving me additional things to look at in order to try to correct it.

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 2:44 PM
  • Are there any other ideas?

Thursday, May 10, 2018 12:02 PM
  • If the DN/OU is missing on all Computer CIs mabe it''s an option for you to run a Runbook in Orchestrator to get this information from AD and update the CI in SCSM.

If you schedule this Runbook it will update the information dynamically like a SCSM connector-

Andreas Baumgarten

Friday, May 11, 2018 8:27 AM
  • Do you happen to know how to do this or have a site I can go to that has the information?

Friday, May 11, 2018 1:36 PM
  • I haven't found a "ready-to-go" information at the moment.

On a high level the runbook or PowerShell script  should work like this:

• Get all Computer CIs in SCSM (especially get the NetBIOS name of the computer)
    • For each computer CI in SCSM get the AD computer object (and the OU property/DN property)
    • Update the property the computer's CI object in SCSM with the DN or OU details

Hope this helps.

Andreas Baumgarten

Friday, May 11, 2018 3:05 PM
  • sorry for not answering for a while. Other tasks became more pressing. However, to let you know, i changed the AD connector to use an LDAP query. It has fixed/modified the structure of what is coming in and removed most(not all) of the computers that have been decommissioned. Bad thing is that I still do not get the OUs. Since I changed that connector yesterday and only had 1 run for the sync, I am hoping it will get the additional info over the weekend.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:59 PM
  • Ok, there is no change. The computers still do not show the OU or the IP address. I can live with the IP address being in the view, nut i do really need the OU. Any other ideas? The idea of setting up runbooks to schedule an export and an import of AD info is not feasible in our environment.

• Marked as answer by MEHernandez Thursday, June 07, 2018 12:47 PM
    Monday, May 21, 2018 1:47 PM