Installing a quad core in vista? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there everyone!

So, let me tell you what is happening...

I have this silly habit of read licenses agreements of the software I install in my computer. So, as I was reading Vista home premiun's agreements, I saw a paragraph that said that I could install Vista in only one computer at a time, and that vista could only run at no more than two processors at a time.

Right now I have a dual processor. I was thinking to upgrade my processor to an Intel quad next month. but i think i have to get vista ultimate to be able to use a quad core.

So, my question is: I'm I right? do I need to buy ultimate to be able to use a quad core.

Note: English is not my first language. maybe i misunderstood what it said. if I did, please let me know.
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 11:41 PM

Answers

• More accurately, the license refers to processor sockets, just as it always has.
    XP had much the same processor licensing terms.

To answer the question:  Home Premium is allowed one socketed processor, with (IIRC) an unlimited number of processor cores.  In other words, you're fine.

Friday, September 5, 2008 2:20 AM
  • Hi,

All editions of Windows Vista can support multiple core CPUs, only Windows Vista Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise can support dual physical processors.

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:58 AM

All replies

• More accurately, the license refers to processor sockets, just as it always has.
    XP had much the same processor licensing terms.

To answer the question:  Home Premium is allowed one socketed processor, with (IIRC) an unlimited number of processor cores.  In other words, you're fine.

Friday, September 5, 2008 2:20 AM
  • Hi,

All editions of Windows Vista can support multiple core CPUs, only Windows Vista Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise can support dual physical processors.

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:58 AM