none
Why does it proceed with installations regardless? RRS feed

• Question

• One of the computers that I look after had Windows Update set to download updates but let me choose whether to install them.  However, it has been installing updates automatically all along when I shut the computer down.  Why does it happen?

Friday, February 26, 2016 3:03 AM

Answers

• Hi healee,

Based on your description, I want to confirm that which version of this Windows system? Home, Professional or Enterprise?

If it is Professional or Enterprise version, we may try to check the  “Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation” option in Group Policy.

Press “WIN+R” and run “gpedit.msc”.

In the opening dialog box, navigate to Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update

In the right panel, double click the “Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation” option and check the status.

In addition, the corrupted system files may also cause the problem. We may use SFC tools to repair them. Please refer to the link below:

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 29, 2016 11:49 AM

All replies

• Usually, some critical updates like that of Microsoft Defender and Security Essentials install automatically, no matter what settings are defined in Windows Update. However, for other Windows updates, reset Windows updates to check if that resolves the issue. Refer the lik for more information:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

If the issue still persists, run SFC scan and then check:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/kb/929833#/en-in/kb/929833

If the issue still persists, scan the PC for any malware infection. You can download and run MalwareBytes from the following location, restart the PC and then check:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/thankyou/

Balaji Kundalam

Friday, February 26, 2016 7:04 AM
  • This is the normal behaviour of Windows 7 when you choose that option. The only time it does not install updates is if you choose to restart, or use shutdown.exe to turn off the computer.

It is probably a case where the description in the menus are not as specific as it should be.

Friday, February 26, 2016 7:54 PM
  • Thanks Balaji,

What is "reset Windows updates"?  Restalling all updates again?

Sunday, February 28, 2016 7:34 AM
  • Thanks Tripredacus,

Are you saying I should ignore what Balaji had suggested?

I only notice the Windows Update takes place when I restart or shut down the computer.  I wouldn't know if update would take place in some other time.

Sunday, February 28, 2016 7:38 AM
  • Sometimes, corrupt settings or configuration in Windows Update system causes malfunctioning of Windows Update. Hence, resetting the components will revert any changes made to the system to the default state. This doesn't reinstall/uninstall/remove any updates.

Balaji Kundalam

Monday, February 29, 2016 5:59 AM
  • What do you mean by default state?

Do you mean resetting Windows Update is uninstalling Windows Update or reinstalling Windows Update?

Monday, February 29, 2016 8:08 AM
  • Hi healee,

Based on your description, I want to confirm that which version of this Windows system? Home, Professional or Enterprise?

If it is Professional or Enterprise version, we may try to check the  “Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation” option in Group Policy.

Press “WIN+R” and run “gpedit.msc”.

In the opening dialog box, navigate to Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update

In the right panel, double click the “Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation” option and check the status.

In addition, the corrupted system files may also cause the problem. We may use SFC tools to repair them. Please refer to the link below:

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 29, 2016 11:49 AM
  • It is Windows 10 Home.

I believe we can check everything with the registry while no "gpedit.msc" available, but I don't remember where it is in the registry.

Monday, February 29, 2016 10:18 PM
  • Hi healee,

I think the registry location is :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Best Regards,

Tao

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 1:40 AM
  • Thanks but there is no "WindowsUpdate" under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 1:29 PM
  • It seems very strange, have you made any changes before the issue occurred?

Thursday, March 3, 2016 1:24 AM
  • What changes are you referring to?

This is the first time I set the update this way.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

As Tony said, the values or the permission changes should be checked on this issue.

Monday, March 7, 2016 7:57 AM
    Owner