Purge Deleted Items RRS feed

• Question

• Would like to clean up everyone's mailboxes by clearing out the Deleted Items folder of anything that is older than six months.  I have created a retention policy but instead of removing the items it has tagged all items older than six months to be deleted IN six months.  Is there a way to apply a policy that will empty the Deleted Items folder of all emails older than six months?
    Friday, January 6, 2017 5:07 PM

All replies

• What version, service pack and update rollup or cumulative update of Exchange are you running?  That bit of information is rather important, you know.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Sunday, January 8, 2017 7:32 PM
  • Hi,

If you are using Exchange 2010, you can create a default retention tag for "Delete Items Folder", then add this tag to assigned retention policy.

After that, messages will be processed by Managed Folder Assistant in the next scheduled time. ( I usually wait one day to check the results)

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 9, 2017 3:21 AM
  • We are running Exchange 2013, Windows Server 2012 R2, and we are scheduled to run the December Rollup and Cumulative updates this evening. 
    Monday, January 9, 2017 4:50 PM
  • I created that retention tag and policy but we noticed that it only tags the old mail to delete in six months.  We want to delete all mail that is current six months old or older, not just tag it so it deletes in six months.  Is there a powershell command that can but run to clear all Deleted Items of mail that is older than six months.
    Monday, January 9, 2017 4:51 PM
  • The tag should work like you want it to work.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Monday, January 9, 2017 7:41 PM
  • I created that retention tag and policy but we noticed that it only tags the old mail to delete in six months.  We want to delete all mail that is current six months old or older, not just tag it so it deletes in six months.  Is there a powershell command that can but run to clear all Deleted Items of mail that is older than six months.

My created retention tag above will do what you want. It will delete messages that six months old or older on deleted mailbox.

If you want to use powershell, refer to this document

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff459253(v=exchg.141).aspx

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 1:09 PM
  • I did the retention tag EXACTLY as you have pictured and it still tagged all the mail to delete IN six months not emails that is older than six months.  And I've been using the tech article you included but I can't get the powershell command to delete items specifically out of the Deleted Items folder and I can't get the command to delete items older than six months.

I was looking for someone who has success in using the powershell command to delete from a specific folder.

I am using Exchange 2013, so I'm beginning to think something changed between Exchange 2010 and 2013.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 1:19 PM
  • I did the retention tag EXACTLY as you have pictured and it still tagged all the mail to delete IN six months not emails that is older than six months.  And I've been using the tech article you included but I can't get the powershell command to delete items specifically out of the Deleted Items folder and I can't get the command to delete items older than six months.

I was looking for someone who has success in using the powershell command to delete from a specific folder.

I am using Exchange 2013, so I'm beginning to think something changed between Exchange 2010 and 2013.

Search-Mailbox command will be helpful for you to delete all messages before specific date. For example:

Search-Mailbox -Identity "UserName" -SearchQuery 'Received:<6/30/2016 -and Sent:<6/30/2016' -DeleteContent

Or you can use New-MailboxExportRequest command to export messages from DeletedItems folder. For example:

New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox UserName -IncludeFolders "DeletedItems" -ContentFilter {(Received -lt "6/30/2016") -and (Sent -lt "6/30/2016")} -FilePath "\\SERVER\PSTFileShare\Username.pst"

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 8:41 AM