none
Currency Conversion confusoin RRS feed

• Question

• I have a many to many currency conversion that i have set up in the cube.  Maybe i am being daft, but if  I use the business intelligence currency conversion that calculates on the fly.

if for example i have a currency in GBP that does not need to be converted, will the currency conversion ignore it completely  and not display the information because in my currency exchange table i do not have a conversion for GBP to GBP .  Where can i see that value.  Also if i want to see the original value when it does convert, where do i look?  finding it a bit confusing to navigate the currency converter.

TIA

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for your question.

Assuming you are using SSAS multidimensional mode, if you are using Many-to-one option, all the other currencies will be converted to GBP except GBP at the cube level, GBP does not need to be converted.

The rate measure group contains measures representing exchange rates between local currencies and the pivot currency (commonly referred to as the corporate currency). The combination of exchange rate direction and conversion type determines the operation performed on measures to be converted by the MDX script generated using the Business Intelligence Wizard. The following table describes the operations performed depending on the exchange rate direction and conversion type, based on the exchange rate direction options and conversion directions available in the Business Intelligence Wizard.

Exchange rate direction

Many-to-one

One-to-many

Many-to-many

n pivot currency to 1 sample currency

Multiply the measure to be converted by the exchange rate measure for the local currency in order to convert the measure into the pivot currency.

Divide the measure to be converted by the exchange rate measure for the reporting currency in order to convert the measure into the reporting currency.

Multiply the measure to be converted by the exchange rate measure for the local currency in order to convert the measure into the pivot currency, then divide the converted measure by the exchange rate measure for the reporting currency in order to convert the measure into the reporting currency.

n sample currency to 1 pivot currency

Divide the measure to be converted by the exchange rate measure for the local currency in order to convert the measure into the pivot currency.

Multiply the measure to be converted by the exchange rate measure for the reporting currency in order to convert the measure into the reporting currency.

Divide the measure to be converted by the exchange rate measure for the local currency in order to convert the measure into the pivot currency, then multiply the converted measure by the exchange rate measure for the reporting currency in order to convert the measure into the reporting currency.

You choose the exchange rate direction on the Set currency conversion options page of the Business Intelligence Wizard. For more information about setting conversion direction, see Set Currency Conversion Options (Business Intelligence Wizard).

You can also refer to SSAS: Currency Conversion .

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by alexander fun Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:19 AM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:31 AM