locked
Exchange 2010 system accounts are in root domain, Exchange is in child domain - no arbitration mailboxes exist RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have installed Exchange 2010 in our test environment and had problems getting the mailbox role to install - I think this is the root cause of the problems I'm having.  I did get it to install finally by uninstalling all Exchange roles and then reinstalling but I did not clean up AD after uninstalling.  Now, my database is dismounting at some point during the night and will not re-mount - the Information Store service stops and will not restart.  The only way I've gotten it to restart is to power down the server & bring it back up (a restart doesn't do it).

    Errors in the event log point Active Directory and to not having arbitration mailboxes set up.  When I ran setup /preparead initially, it was done from the Schema master which is in a different domain than Exchange.  Exchange is in a child domain.  The System Accounts (FederatedEmail, SystemMailbox, DiscoverySearch) are seen in ADUC for the root domain in the Users container however, they do not have mailboxes attached to them.

    I have attempted to enable the mailboxes from Exchange Management Shell (after setting my scope to EntireForest) and get this error: 

    [PS] C:\Windows\system32>enable-mailbox -Arbitration -Identity "FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042"
    This task does not support recipients of this type. The specified recipient root.domain/Users/FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-
    4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042 is of type UserMailbox. Please make sure that this recipient matches the required recipient type
     for this task.

    I'm hoping that when I install this for real in my production environment that I don't have these same issues but I need to figure out how to get the security set up across the domains before I get to the production install date of 8/9.

    How can I get the arbitration mailboxes set up for these users?  Should I recreate the system account users in the child domain?

    Friday, July 29, 2011 2:17 PM

Answers

  • Hi,

    Please deleted the arbitration,discovery mailbox and FederatedEmail using ADSIEDIT by following the
    below steps:

    1)Open ADSIEDIT.msc,connect to the default naming contest
    2)navigate to the users container and in the right hand side,
    right click and delete
    the following arbitration and discovery mailbox respectively
    “SystemMailbox{GUID}”
    “SystemMailbox{GUID}”
    "DiscoverySearchMailbox{GUID}"
    "FederatedEmail.GUID"

    3)Run setup/preparead to recreate both the arbitration and discovery mailbox
    4)Enable both the arbitration and discovery mailbox by following the below step.

    i) Enable-Mailbox –Arbitration –Identity
    “SystemMailbox{GUID}”
    ii)Enable-Mailbox –Arbitration –Identity
    “SystemMailbox{GUID}”
    iii)Enable-Mailbox -discovery -identity
    "DiscoverySearchMailbox{GUID}"
    iv)Enable-Mailbox -discovery -identity
    "FederatedEmail.GUID"

    If the issue persists, please post the error log relating to Information service.

    • Marked as answer by Gen Lin Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:20 AM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:26 AM