Unable to scope Operator Role to access SQL Server Management Pack dashboard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are using the SQL Management Pack 6.6.0.0 to monitor SQL Server on SCOM 2012 SP1 CU5.

The dashboards work perfectly for anyone in the administrators group - no problems here.  All data is visible, all instance are discovered, and the Tile based dashboards are navigable and complete with data.

For the rest of the users, we create a separate group containing a group, or subgroups, of computer objects relating to what we want them to see in SCOM.  We then create an "Operator Role" in SCOM and give this role access to the group we've just created and access to the dashboard views that they need.

This works for all management packs except for the SQL management pack.

It appears that nobody other than "Administrator" role users in SCOM can see the SQL dashboards properly.  an "operator" role user cannot even use them properly if they are given access to ALL groups and ALL views.

what is the fix for this please?  We CANNOT give users Administrator role access!! and having monitoring that we cannot present to users is kind of useless.

Regards,
    Rob.

Friday, October 9, 2015 3:06 PM

Answers

• Hi

This is a known issue - if you look in the Operations Manager event log, you'll also see an error logged.

Hopefully a fix will be coming soon. Keep an eye out for an updated management pack.

Regards

Graham

http://blogs.technet.com/b/manageabilityguys/

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Wednesday, October 21, 2015 6:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robuea Wednesday, October 21, 2015 8:39 AM
    Sunday, October 11, 2015 3:12 PM
  • Thanks Graham,  yes, I can seem many others having similar issues.

unfortunately, installing 6.6.2.0 isn't the answer for me as it suffers from another 'known bug' where it constantly fills my DW translogs with a never-ending query.

I'll keep waiting for another SQL MP.  Hopefully with a confirmed fix for BOTH of these issues!

• Marked as answer by Robuea Wednesday, October 21, 2015 8:40 AM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 8:39 AM

All replies

• Hi

This is a known issue - if you look in the Operations Manager event log, you'll also see an error logged.

Hopefully a fix will be coming soon. Keep an eye out for an updated management pack.

Regards

Graham

http://blogs.technet.com/b/manageabilityguys/

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Wednesday, October 21, 2015 6:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robuea Wednesday, October 21, 2015 8:39 AM
    Sunday, October 11, 2015 3:12 PM
  • Thanks Graham,  yes, I can seem many others having similar issues.

unfortunately, installing 6.6.2.0 isn't the answer for me as it suffers from another 'known bug' where it constantly fills my DW translogs with a never-ending query.

I'll keep waiting for another SQL MP.  Hopefully with a confirmed fix for BOTH of these issues!

• Marked as answer by Robuea Wednesday, October 21, 2015 8:40 AM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 8:39 AM