none
Error message when saving RRS feed

• Question

• I get this error message when I save.  When I reopen the file i will find duplicates of the tasks that I had entered.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 2:15 PM

All replies

• i wasn't able to insert a screen shot of the error message.

Here is what it says:

The file cannot be opened

- check that the file name and path are correct

- check that the file format is recognized by Project

Project files saved in a version earlier than Microsoft Project 2000 can't be opened

If your file is from an earlier version, open it in that version, click save as (File Menu) and save in MPX format. Open the MPX file in the current version of Project.  When you use this method, project data is imported, but formatting is lost

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 2:21 PM
  • Tonierd,

Okay, so what version of Project are you using? Is it fully updated with the latest cumulative update (if you are using a subscription version such as Project Online or Project 365, it is automatically updated).

Was the file generated using the same version of Project that you now have?

Are you in a Project Server environment?

Is the file part of a linked structure (i.e. master/subproject or resource pool/sharer)?

Are you working locally or over a network?

John

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 2:44 PM
  • I'm using version 2013.  It is not a subscription license.  The file was generated with 2013 professional and my license is the standard version.  The file is linked to a shared resource pool file.  I'm working over a network

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 3:08 PM
  • sorry,  i am using professional.  

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 5:29 PM
  • Tonierd,

You didn't say if your version of Project 2013 is fully updated. It should be 15.0.4945.1000. If not, run Windows Update.

The fact that you have a linked structure (resource pool/sharer) and that you are operating over a network leads me to suspect file corruption. None of the files in a linked structure should ever be renamed, moved, overwritten or saved off to another location. Ideally all files should all reside in a single directory on a local drive and not be operated over a network.

I suggest you un-link the pool from the sharer files, save all sharer files and the pool file as XML. Then re-open each of the XML files in Project and re-link. Note, you will lose any custom formatting with this process.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 6:40 PM
  • you are correct regarding the file corruption but we didn't know the potential cause, thank you.  I checked and confirmed I do have the updated version you mentioned.

I will see about trying your fix... thanks so much and I'll update you when I know more

Thursday, August 3, 2017 1:07 PM
  • Tonierd,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Thursday, August 3, 2017 2:55 PM