Why is my external hard drive not showing? RRS feed

• Question

• http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Elements-Desktop-External/dp/B002E7HEVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306344598&sr=8-1

It was working fine the other day but i began getting problems after i formatted half the drive through a 3rd party program to FAT32

it still worked for a while and i could copy between the two partitions and the internal hard drive, but then my NTFS part began to not show properly and i was plugging in and out in all my USB ports (3 of them).

it was sort of showing up and then it didnt after plugging it into my xbox (it failed - although i did no formatting on the xbox, just went to look to see if it showed the FAT32 partition) so i plugged it back in and it took FOREVER to appear, the FAT32 partition showed up fine and worked (although slow copying between that and the HDD) The other partition showed up as Local Disk F:/ and when trying to go into it, Windows Explorer froze into an unresponsive state and i had to end process.

Then this morning I tried plugging it in, and nothing came up at all, ive looked in Disk Management to see if it is hidden and its not, its not showing up there either

Dont worry, you dont have to talk to me in a completly dumb way, im not computer illiterate

Windows 7 Home Premium

*Does not show up at all on my xbox either, and i also tried a Ubuntu computer but it didnt work on there, I will feedback my results on another Windows computer

will also check to see if another USB device works in my ports because i heard constantly plugging/unplugging devices may ruin the USB ports

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:57 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:41 PM

Answers

• Your hard drive is probably dead if it doesn't show on disk management and on your xbox.

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:38 AM
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:18 PM

All replies