none
Rebuild GPO Structure

Question

• I have inherited a windows domain that has 271 GPO objects.  I have discovered that many of these GPO's are no longer required or are pointing to servers that no longer exist

If I go ahead and create new GPO's where required to replace existing ones will the old setting be wiped out on the target machine?

If I delete a GPO will the GPO settings also be deleted from the target computer?

Wednesday, December 09, 2015 10:57 PM

Answers

• Wow 271 GPOs that's interesting :) , my suggestion is just go through them and check the settings tab in GPMC , and check where they are linking and remove all unnecessary and create your own new ones

when you remove GPO's the configuration will go away from target clients , but you know it takes time and sometimes gpupdate is necessary !

or probably in first step disable the unnecessary GPSs and after  a period of time delete them if  you wont see any problem 

Cheers 

Masoud

Thursday, December 10, 2015 12:01 AM

All replies

• Wow 271 GPOs that's interesting :) , my suggestion is just go through them and check the settings tab in GPMC , and check where they are linking and remove all unnecessary and create your own new ones

when you remove GPO's the configuration will go away from target clients , but you know it takes time and sometimes gpupdate is necessary !

or probably in first step disable the unnecessary GPSs and after  a period of time delete them if  you wont see any problem 

Cheers 

Masoud

Thursday, December 10, 2015 12:01 AM
  • Hi,

I think it is necessary to make a copy firstly before deleting or replacing.
    If something goes wrong, the copy can offer us a restore.

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 11, 2016 4:50 AM