A table cannot overlap another table RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    I have a pivot table pulling data from a range. When I try to insert table into the rage, I get the error message "A table cannot overlap another table"? I had initially inserted a table into the range and everything worked fine, but recently the TABLE TOOLS/DESIGN option in the ribbon bar don't show anymore!! so I figured to insert a table and that's when i got the above error message.

When I try to refresh my pivot table I get this error message "We couldn't load the Data Model. This may be because the Data Model in this workbook is damaged".

What's happening?

Friday, July 11, 2014 3:26 PM

Answers

• I fixed it!! Somehow I had a table inserted right in the middle of this sheet. This is a massive sheet so finding it wasn't that easy and I wasn't even expecting it to be there. I converted it to range and inserted a new table and BOOM worked.
    • Marked as answer by bApTizE Friday, July 11, 2014 4:13 PM
    Friday, July 11, 2014 4:13 PM

All replies

• I fixed it!! Somehow I had a table inserted right in the middle of this sheet. This is a massive sheet so finding it wasn't that easy and I wasn't even expecting it to be there. I converted it to range and inserted a new table and BOOM worked.
    • Marked as answer by bApTizE Friday, July 11, 2014 4:13 PM
    Friday, July 11, 2014 4:13 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear you have solved it and thanks for sharing the experience here, it will definitely be hepful to others who meet the same problem.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 14, 2014 5:32 AM
  • Could you please describe the steps to fix it?

I have two pivot tables in the same worksheet. How can make the pivot table insert rows instead overlap?

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 11:02 AM
  • Had the same issue. This is how I removed the table:

1. Find the table - click around in your cells til you see the Design tab show up in the ribbon (indicates you're in a table)
    2. Click the Convert to Range command in the Tools group
      Screenshot of Excel 2013
    3. Click Yes and the data should remain and return to normal
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 5:00 AM