ADFS 3.0 Compatability with ADFS 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon,

My company has an ADFS 3.0 implementation, and management want to move to federated logons with all of our software as service providers.  So far, all have also been using ADFS 3.0, and there have been no problems.

However, I've just been informed that one of our SaS providers is using ADFS 2.0, and I'm wondering if there will be any incompatibilities or challenges we might have.  One item mentioned in the SaS provider is the need for a code signing certificate for token signing, while we've never had one on our ADFS 3.0 system.

I've done a number of different searches, and I've seen articles that spoke about upgrading from ADFS 2.0 to ADFS 2.1 to work with ADFS 3.0, but the problem is that we're on 3.0.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Monday, April 10, 2017 7:25 PM

All replies

• Cannot say specifically without knowing the application, but we have SaaS providers on ADFS 2.0 and we are running ADFS 3.0.  Should not matter in the end as a token is a token.

Posting here:  https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/home?forum=ADFS

May give you more detail.

Monday, April 10, 2017 7:29 PM
  • When it come to compatibilities, we are talking about protocols. All protocols supported by ADFS 2.x are supported by ADFS on Windows Server 2012 R2 (aka ADFS 3.0).

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:21 PM