none
Enhanced Write Filter (EWF) in Windows 7 Enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• My question has two parts. First off, is there an official, supported way to get Enhanced Write Filter working in fully fledged Windows 7 Enterprise? If not, is it possible to install Windows Embedded Standard 7 on a normal Thick Client PC?

The reason I ask is because we would ideally like to be able to ensure that no data (temp files, recent documents etc) are saved to the hard drive either at shutdown or if someone simply powers off the PC.

Any help/advice gratefully received.

Note: I've also asked this question in the Windows 7 Security forum, but they suggested I post here.

Monday, February 25, 2013 8:59 AM

All replies

• It is possible to install Embeded on a "thick" PC (I'm speeking tech - not Licensing). 

Windows 7 thin PC is a Embeded package made for X86 hardware.

I did a quick Eval on it and its file based write filter (ran into som unsupported KMS issues so my project was dropped)

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 1:15 PM
  • It is not legally allowed to have EWF or FBWF in the Windows 7 Enterprise (Windows 7 with licensing restrictions). You can build a WES7 image that is almost a full Windows features (no games) and have EWF or FBWF in the image.

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:12 PM
  • And is it legal to install it on Windows 7 Home/Standard/Pro?
    And the same for Windows 8?

I've searched it a lot but I didn't find that information.

Thank you.

Friday, July 26, 2013 3:56 PM
  • EWF and FBWF are only support in XPe/WES2009, WES7 and WE8S. All other Windows operating systems are not supported.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Saturday, July 27, 2013 4:09 AM
  • I am a Senior Engineer for one of the largest healthcare systems in the world. We developed our own WES7 OS from the developer's kit that worked perfectly in our environment.  Microsoft denied us the ability to license it despite us having a blank check extended to pay for it.  Instead, they advised that we use ThinPC or POSReady7, which are both garbage.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 2:17 PM
  • SoftballNerd, Please contact me and lets see what the issue is. http://www.annabooks.com 

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 3:29 PM