Windows Media Player 11 in Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I'm pretty sure this is a bug.  Not the background process, but the subsequent behavior.  I have a fresh install of Vista Ultimate.  I have opened WMP and allowed it to add my 120GB of music to its library.  This took a while, but finally said it was finished.  I later made some changes to some of the music tags, so I'm sure it needed to refresh.  So here's the deal.  When I open WMP & then close it, the wmplayer.exe process continues to run.  Maybe it's just refreshing the library.  However, it did run all night long (longer than the initial add) and in the morning, used up quite a bit of resource.  That's not the issueThis is the issue: While this process is running, if I open a video file, WMP GUI doesn't open, but it does start playing the file.  I can hear the sound.  If I then open WMP (without hitting play), I instantly get the GUI, showing the video to accompany the sound, with no breaks; it just keeps playing.  That smells like a bug.  If I kill the process or reboot, it will not run on its own.  It waits until I open it, then continues the pattern.  Since this is a licensed retail final release, I don't think I can use the bug reporter and I don't want to submit a support ticket, because I don't want to fool around doing a bunch of testing for the first tier of MS support while they try to figure it out.  Since I'm almost positive this is a bug, I know it would take a great deal of my time & energy following all of their remedial instructions.  I don't know of any other way to submit a bug to MS so they can start working on it.  Any suggestions?  Maybe someone could test this & see if you can reproduce?

Thanks!

John

Windows Vista Ultimate retail, updated daily
    EVGA 680i Mobo
    Pentium D 915 2.8
    2 x 1GB Corsair 800MHz RAM, dual channel
    PNY GeForce 7300GT
    850W Cooler Master PS
    2 x 80GB 7200rpm on HPT370 ATA133 as RAID 0 (4 part)
    250GB SATA 7200rpm (2 part)
    150GB SATA 10000rpm (system) (2 part)
    2GB static page file on each physical drive
    Other software installed so far:
    Adobe Flash Player 9, Adobe Reader 8, BitTorrent 5.0.5, eMule Plus 1.2b, G-Force viz plugin, Irfanview + all plugins, IZArc 3.7, Logitech SetPoint, MS IntelliType Pro 6.1, MS Office Ultimate 2007 retail, Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable, MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB925672), MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978), MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK, NVIDIA Drivers (latest forceware), NVIDIA nTune, Tag&Rename 3.3, VLC 0.8.6a, Live OneCare (to be replaced w/ Symantec in a couple of days), Windows Mobile Device Center & Driver Update, Yahoo Messenger. 

Sunday, February 11, 2007 5:05 PM

All replies

• I have the same issue with my machine.  It has happened a total of two times since I clean installed Vista RTM several weeks ago.

Friday, February 16, 2007 11:22 PM